Making choil larger on HRLM?

I recently got a howling rat little mischief from the swamp rat company. Its a great knife but the choil is not big enough for me. I dont want to totally mutilate the swamp rat design, but would like more choil (similar to the older howling rats)
I have seen more extreme knife modifications out there so i dont think it will be a big problem getting it done, but i do not know who to contact about getting a quality job done with the knife.
I dont want to do it myself for fear of totally messing up :eek: If people have done similar projects to their knives please let me know, pics would be great too, thanks.

A careful application of a rotary tool (Dremel or the like) with a sanding drum will make fairly short work of that. You should be able to DIY easily--just make sure to keep the steel cool so as not to ruin the heat treat (cool it often with water and never let it get too hot to touch).

I'll second what MBE says. Keep dunking it, and if it's not too hot to touch, you're ok. I did this to a Becker BK7, and it was pretty easy.

I did this exact same thing to my HRLM. I took 1/8" from each side of the choil and it came out perfectly!
I would post pics but it was stolen from my car awhile back, I can mod yours if you want to pay shipping both ways.

Back