Making Her Own

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've mentioned our young friend Emma before in these pages:

shUPOz3.jpg

She just turned seventeen a few weeks ago. She comes up and helps on the ranch when she can and she likes to work in the shop too. Once in a while I'll help her with her horsemanship too. I detailed helping her make her own leggings here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/just-helping-out.1674803/

A few days back I traded her some work in the shop (cleaning and odd jobs) for help in making her own martingale/breastcollar. This item goes across the horses chest and helps stabilize the saddle on the horse's back. They are particularly useful when roping and dragging cattle or in climbing steep uphills. They prevent your saddle from moving to the rear on the horses back while in use. My friend Tyler has one on here on his horse Dusty Rose. Its the first one I ever lined with water buffalo.

PQquP1b.jpg

My design is kinda unique for this item, it really moves with the horse and many do not. So Emma didn't have one:

sPJnZcg.jpg

So I cut out all the pieces of the martingale and rubbed some of the edges that needed to be done before construction. Emma had modified our tooling pattern to get the flower to match the one carved on her saddle and under Nichole's guidance on the carving, off she went. Nichole would show her a technique and step and then Emma would do it. She got up here about 10:30 or so one morning and had both sides carved by 5 or so. We then oiled them and let them sit over night. She came back the next day and applied the finish and did the glueing and some of the stitching.

This is what we came up with:

GkcQK17.jpg

The carved top parts are Wickett and Craig 8/10 oz russet saddle leather and the lining is 8/9 oz crazyhorse brown water buffalo. All straps are water buffalo too.

01nzthR.jpg

I think she did a great job. Whadya think?

Dave that looks very nice.I have to ask. Do you folks change outfits for photo shoots.Back when I was chasing cattle I could not stay that clean for an hour. You must have cleaner dirt in Ca. than we do here in Idaho. WB

No, she made a panel to sew on the front of a ball cap. But the gal that was helping her didn't know what she was doing much either. This was her first, under good supervision and using good tools.

Very Nice leather work....Well Done !
And Congratulations to her on her 2019 Championship Win !!

Very Nice leather work....Well Done !
And Congratulations to her on her 2019 Championship Win !!

Good deal. Emma scored some other good loot at that show too:

98FVE6f.jpg

My good friend Mike Vatalero made and donated this silver horn cap she won. I couldn't even begin to tell ya what something like this would cost. It wouldn't work on her horn so we installed it as a cantle plate on her saddle.

Back