Making Memories with our Blades

So I’m sure this is silly, but I tend to attach quite a bit of emotion to objects at times. Some of my favorite knives are the ones that have memories attached to them from certain times in my life. I enjoy the connection felt with a tool that has been with me for a long time, and assisted me in many things. Every once in awhile, these connections can be made in a second, but usually they take time. So here is my issue... I have a lot of great knives that I rotate through. I enjoy each and every one of them. However this means that I have about 10 knives that I want to form a connection with but never do because I keep rotating them out. I almost feel like I need to just carry one knife for a year but I don’t want to do that either. Does anyone else feel this way, the desire to make every knife you have your forever knife?

So I’m sure this is silly, but I tend to attach quite a bit of emotion to objects at times. Some of my favorite knives are the ones that have memories attached to them from certain times in my life. I enjoy the connection felt with a tool that has been with me for a long time, and assisted me in many things. Every once in awhile, these connections can be made in a second, but usually they take time. So here is my issue... I have a lot of great knives that I rotate through. I enjoy each and every one of them. However this means that I have about 10 knives that I want to form a connection with but never do because I keep rotating them out. I almost feel like I need to just carry one knife for a year but I don’t want to do that either. Does anyone else feel this way, the desire to make every knife you have your forever knife?

You don’t have a few special favourites?

I have different folders for different occasions each one that suits my needs perfectly in that role tends to become a fav.

I currently have three true EDC knives: A large and small Sebenza, and a custom shop Mini Crooked River. I love them all for pure EDC. Then I have an Emerson Horseman that gets the hard use EDC nod usually, and a variety of slipjoints for different tasks. My collection is pretty well narrowed down but there’s still not just a knife or two I always have, and I still can’t help myself from wanting more.

Carry each one for a month at a time? : ) btw, which are the 10 knives?
I may try that. I have a Large Sebenza 21 with micarta, Small 21 Insingo and CF, Benchmade custom shop Mini Crooked River, Proper, Emerson Horseman, GEC Calf Roper, Oregon Trapper, Bullnose, Bullbuster, and Stag Improved Trapper that I could all see myself enjoying for a long period of time.

Carry each one for a month at a time? : ) btw, which are the 10 knives?

I like the idea of carrying one for a month. That should give you time to decide if that one has an emotional bond to you through use and experience.

I like the idea of carrying one for a month. That should give you time to decide if that one has an emotional bond to you through use and experience.
This may be the best bet. I’ve definitely carried most of them more than a month, just not all at once. I get bored very quickly lol

I have around 10 custom large knives for outdoors, and many productions (I prefer large knives in the "wild"). I also have a Cold Steel Trailmaster I have carried and MUCH used for over 25 years.:cool: I REALLY want to carry the full customs (I have used a couple a few times) but whenever I'm headed "way out there" I end up with the Trailmaster. It has the markings of pine cut for shelter, limes cut for drinks (OK so I don't always rough it), and more. :) Memories are part of the relationship. :thumbsup: A man and his knife can definitely form a bond. :D

I Agree ^ with Sonny. Carry what you want, when you want and the memories will come in time. I have knives in my collection from my childhood and teen years that could I tell some stories about but at that time they were just knives. Then and now I just pick the knife I feel will serve me best for the task at hand and take mental notes on how it performed like Ergos and edge angles on that task. Then I have my after work knives or dress knifes I take out when I'm going shopping or to restaurants with my ZT Sinkevich 0462 being the best and coolest looking steak knife ever. Knife related "Memories" will come over time and when you least expect it from my experience.

Yes I do.
Before joining here I carried a particular knife every single day for a few years and when I thought of " my knife " that was it, it's like your boots or your hat. It's a familiar friend that's part of your identity.
No worrying about what knife to carry for the week, and no feeling like I'm neglecting any other knives when I can't get to them all often enough.
Plus I don't have to worry about finding time to carry another knife I'll likely buy.

Well now I just made owning a bunch of knives sound like a bad thing :D

Yes I do.
Before joining here I carried a particular knife every single day for a few years and when I thought of " my knife " that was it, it's like your boots or your hat. It's a familiar friend that's part of your identity.
No worrying about what knife to carry for the week, and no feeling like I'm neglecting any other knives when I can't get to them all often enough.
Plus I don't have to worry about finding time to carry another knife I'll likely buy.

Well now I just made owning a bunch of knives sound like a bad thing :D
This is it exactly! Knives are the only thing in my daily life that I rotate regularly. Every day I put on my boots and my hat and my jacket and grab my flashlight, wallet, pen, etc, but the knife changes.

I Agree ^ with Sonny. Carry what you want, when you want and the memories will come in time. I have knives in my collection from my childhood and teen years that could I tell some stories about but at that time they were just knives. Then and now I just pick the knife I feel will serve me best for the task at hand and take mental notes on how it performed like Ergos and edge angles on that task. Then I have my after work knives or dress knifes I take out when I'm going shopping or to restaurants with my ZT Sinkevich 0462 being the best and coolest looking steak knife ever. Knife related "Memories" will come over time and when you least expect it from my experience.
This is a fantastic way of looking at it and I greatly appreciate your insight. You are right I believe. The longer I own my blades the more they’ll feel like mine. No need to rush the process

As much as I like knives, I have never really been sentimental about knives.
Surely I think of some old knives I used to have and would like to have again, but it's just nostalgy.

Back