Making Patterns From Wood Cigar Boxes

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Most of my knives so far I have simply drawn a pattern on paper, then I stick it or tape or clamp it onto bar stock to draw a Sharpie outline on the steel. Then the paper pattern is either ugly or torn, so I throw it away.

Some patterns I make more permanent. To make them, I have used:

*chipboard
*thin polystyrene sheets from Dick Blick
*1/8" craft wood (bass wood) from Dick Blick

and now what is becoming my favorite material: wood cigar boxes from the liquor store. The Binney's Liquors in River North here in Chicago has empty cigar boxes for $1 each. It works pretty well as long as I am mindful of tearout.

The first thing I do is break down the cigar box into useable pieces with a circular saw, jigsaw, or whatever.

Then I proceed with other tools to make a pattern:

50726848257_e38775a7ef_b.jpg

50726848212_192a5dc251_b.jpg

50726022838_cd7177ed6c_b.jpg

50726023003_9a8853be32_b.jpg

Here are my "cigar box patterns" so far:

50726820906_35893b42f9_b.jpg

Making patterns is a relaxing creative thing for me. The other night I made a couple of patterns just to escape the drudgery of hand-sanding.

Last edited:
I also, sometimes make the scales from the MDF and temporarily attach them to the pattern (after making a spare and thinning it) and then shape them to see how it feels.

I have used mdf in the past. A few years ago I started using clear plexi/lexan for patterns.

I use aluminium or stainnless sheet. I like to scribe patterns on steel, so I find taking the time to make a metal template is worth it. Now I just need to figure something out for folders ...

You can make your paper patterns and then use spray adhesive to whatever you like for a pattern.
I tried this once... but when grinding the profile, the edge of the paper got charred and deformed ... making it hard to grind to the right profile. How do you avoid this?

I tried this once... but when grinding the profile, the edge of the paper got charred and deformed ... making it hard to grind to the right profile. How do you avoid this?

To avoid this you use brand new 50 grit belts.

I no longer use dull belts for profiling due to the blackening of the blade screwing up the scribe line.

I used formica scrap for a while but found it wanted to curl so this is good info for me. Thanks

Floppy cutting boards from the dollar store. Sometimes you can find them for 5 or 10 for a dollar!

People sell 1/16" norplex for circuit boards on ebay. 2X13" for $2.75 and I've found its great for patterns or you can use it for liners. Its effectively very thin micarta.

I've been thinking of switching to that clear persplex or plexiglass as I can see it would be helpful at some times to be able to see thru the pattern (like picking exactly where you want the grain to end on the handle.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norplex-NO...633019?hash=item522ad09cfb:g:n0AAAOSwZM9fc6g6

For fixed blades I use 1/8" micarta, for folders I use 3/32" A2 full hard.
That allows me to drill holes and scribe exact profiles so when grinding to the lines only takes a few minutes to set rise and fall.

Back