Man amputates own leg to get free of fallen tree

comoha

Gold Member
More tales of true grit. Dare we ask what brand of pocketknives?

"Alone in the woods with his left leg pinned beneath a fallen tree for 11 hours, a 66-year-old man used pocketknives to cut off his limb below the knee to free himself, a neighbor and authorities said."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19099572/from/ET/

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

:D

The knife would have had to be very big to break the Tibia and Fibula-and he would have had to batton the knife through each bone.(Unlikely)

What happened (I think) is the tree fractured both bones and he cut the leg off .(Still a feat I would not like to test myself on-as I'm not sure I could do it).I admire his courage and inner resolve---

Moral----

Do not cut tree's --ALONE...lest you must.

And always carry some type of communication device(Cell Phone,etc) that can alert people that your in trouble.

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

The knife would have had to be very big to break the Tibia and Fibula-and he would have had to batton the knife through each bone.(Unlikely)

What happened (I think) is the tree fractured both bones and he cut the leg off .(Still a feat I would not like to test myself on-as I'm not sure I could do it).I admire his courage and inner resolve---

Moral----

Do not cut tree's --ALONE...lest you must.

And always carry some type of communication device(Cell Phone,etc) that can alert people that your in trouble.

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

The end of the article mentioned that he hiked two miles to an area that provided cell phone coverage and phoned the local fire department; so he had a cell phone.

Oops...his friend hiked 2 miles and called on a cell phone. Either way, if his friend had to hike 2 miles to get cell phone service, a cell phone would not have helped in this situation.

I would probably just sit there and cry or something. I dont think I would have the balls to cut my own leg off.

The other guy heard Hill calling out after he had cut off his leg. Would he not have heard Hill calling out had Hill not cut the leg off? It sounds to me like Hill unnecessarily cut off his leg and then was rescued anyway.

This whole thing sounds a bit far-fetched. Facts are not adding up.
Watch out for media hype, sensationalism sells.

The nuts in Iowa Hill don't fall to far from the trees there. I wonder if he knows Aron Ralston?

Oops...his friend hiked 2 miles and called on a cell phone. Either way, if his friend had to hike 2 miles to get cell phone service, a cell phone would not have helped in this situation.[/QUOTE]

to Spydercoguy

if you re-read my post it says a cell phone or some other communication device(Hell -A whilstle works better than yelling does)

at 66 years old--He knew better

The other guy heard Hill calling out after he had cut off his leg. Would he not have heard Hill calling out had Hill not cut the leg off? It sounds to me like Hill unnecessarily cut off his leg and then was rescued anyway.

Agreed.

If he was felling trees, was he using a chain saw, and if so was it within reach? I'd rather cut the tree than my own leg. Or how about using that knife to dig away at the ground under the leg to see if it was possable to buy enough clearence?:confused:

If I were Hill I would sue the pants off whoever owned the property - but then again, I'm not a lawyer and he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Bada Boom!

Thanks folks, you've been a great audience, I'll be here all week. Try the buffet - the salmon mousse is to die for!

If I were Hill I would sue the pants off whoever owned the property - but then again, I'm not a lawyer and he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Bada Boom!

Thanks folks, you've been a great audience, I'll be here all week. Try the buffet - the salmon mousse is to die for!
Bro', that was just plain bad.:)

Not that I could do it or anything, but he wouldn't necessarily need to cut through the bones. He could disarticulate at the knee. When the article says "below the knee," it's hard to tell if they meant far below the knee through the bone, or just below the knee.

I think 11 hours is pretty fast to make this decision. He should have waited longer unless there was some other direct threat to his life. If you have a modern cell phone your location can be tracted even if you are receiving service.

It certainly reinforces the point to tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.

Back