Mango Patina on a Bushcraft Triflex

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Turned out real nice, I think. Not much to it. Just eat a lot of mangos using the knife.

MoraBusha.jpg

MoraBushb.jpg

MoraBushc.jpg

You made me look up the plural. :p -oes and -os are both acceptable, though -oes is the more commonly preferred. :thumbup:

That looks great. Nice and even with great color. Way to go.:)

Looks good. Mangos are delicious. As a side note will you send me your biscuit recipe, please and thank you?

Looks good. Mangos are delicious. As a side note will you send me your biscuit recipe, please and thank you?

One of them is posted here. Just search for "Love the Biscuit." :D

neeman, the knife is typical Mora goodness. Thin and slicy. Excellent grip.
It's a little stouter than some of my other Moras. For $20 or so, it's a steal.

Not to derail this thread but how do you like the Triflex steel? Does it perform similar to other carbon steels?

Kind of a hijack here but I have one of the original Triflex knives and it is my favorite Mora.--KV

Not to derail this thread but how do you like the Triflex steel? Does it perform similar to other carbon steels?

Dude, all I've done with it is slice mangos. Hardly, a Noss4 test. :D
But I also have the Craftsman Triflex, and I do like the steel. It keeps a mean edge, and it's tough.
Again though, I haven't breached any tanks. Just normal camp use.

Dude, all I've done with it is slice mangos. Hardly, a Noss4 test. :D
But I also have the Craftsman Triflex, and I do like the steel. It keeps a mean edge, and it's tough.
Again though, I haven't breached any tanks. Just normal camp use.

If it keeps a mean edge that's all I needed to hear. I haven't found myself needing to breach tanks or cut cinder blocks yet so one of these should do nicely.:D;) And at 20 bucks, why not.

I'll try to get Moose over here to report. He put his through some harder use, and he's very high on the Bushcraft Triflex.

Yar, Moose on deck, reporting for duty sir.

The Bushcraft Triflex steel is a very awesome knife. I've batoned through some seasoned red oak, made some of the finest fuzzies I've ever done. I haven't tried the drive it into a tree and stand on it (never will, thats just stupid), but other than that, I think the Triflex steel is great.
Bad pic, but I made the pile of shavings, and struck steel with it. I will say, according to the designer of the Bushcraft series (I met him at SMKW on rep day), the spine is supposed to be squared for steel striking. It is not, its rounded just like the other moras are.

100_1602.jpg

When I first started using it, it seemed to chip and roll out when I was making a bowdrill kit. I looked into it, because Triflex is supposed to be pretty tough. Turns out, like my other mora, the polishing compound, and highspeed buffing wheels they use, causes the outer layer of metal to turn into a softer coating on the outside. I hit the bench stone, and in a little while, I was down to the good steel. Now, its one sharp Swede, for sure.

They also have the Bushcraft Survival out now, its a Triflex, with a Black handle, black sheath, and a firesteel holder on it. I got to get one of those too.

I love the Triflex, and so far, I've pushed it past where I have taken my other moras, and its taken it in stride.

Moose

Thanks, Moose. :thumbup:

They also have the Bushcraft Survival out now, its a Triflex, with a Black handle, black sheath, and a firesteel holder on it. I got to get one of those too.

Wow. $70 for a Mora. :eek:
I see you get a better sheath and a firesteel, but for $50 more, I'm not so sure.
I can get a firesteel and duct tape it onto my Bushcraft Triflex for less than $10. :p

That patina looks good. In regards to the Bushcraft Triflex, it's my favorite Mora. My favorites were the carbon 711 and the Triflex Craftsman, and I always wished they would put a Triflex blade on a 711 handle. That's pretty close to what they've done with the Bushcraft. Great knife for the money.

Thanks Moose and Guyon. Good to know the ins and outs of it.:thumbup::cool:

Looks good. I like the look Patinas give to Moras. They make the knife look better than the polish, in my opinion. :thumbup:

For the money, you can't beat a mora. The BC Triflex is alot of knife for the money. I just got done sharpening mine up, getting ready to take it out for a spin tomorrow, I'm still amazed at how sharp they get, with just a little effort. 7mins from start to finish. Hair popping sharp, with some toothy grip. Awesome.

Moose

Back