Manix 2 blade play

Recently installed AWT scales on my Manix 2 as well as a ceramic ball bearing. I've now got some minor blade play left and right that's bothering me. I didn't notice it before with the stock scales. I can get rid of it by tightening the pivot down but then the action is super tight. I can also get rid of it by tightening the body screws above the pivot but it makes the action super tight as well, I have not been able to find a happy medium where the action is workable without blade play. The body screws above the pivot seem very finicky... if you snug them down just barely it locks the action up but if you back them off just a hair the blade play comes back. I feel like I've tried just about everything by making minor adjustments to the pivot screw and body screws with the same results. Either too tight of action or good action with minor blade play. Maybe I am doing something wrong or it needs new washers? Any suggestions? I realize blade play isn't a huge issue just really bugs me since I've noticed it. Thanks

I would recommend another disassembly and cleaning. It’s possible some debris (like old loctite and such) found its way between your washers. Other than that, keep on tinkering with the screws with minor adjustments. Sometimes aftermarket scales just cause issues like this. Good luck!

I believe I have figured it out. Noticed that's once I get it perfect without any play after a few deployments there's blade play again. One of the body screws keeps backing out so I believe a little loctite should take care of it and keep everything perfect.

I've had that issue (blade play) with most of the Spydercos I've disassembled. I'm sure there's a way to correct it; but I'm not patient enough to find it.

Back