Manix 2 stock vs AWT linerless?

Just picked up a used Manix 2. While I love the knife and ergos, the jimping and sharp edges are a bit much and uncomfortable at times. Ive been researching different scale options to try and keep the same ergos and get rid of the uncomfortable sharp edges and jimping. I came across AWTs linerless scales....however I noticed they eliminate alot of the ergos I love about the Manix 2 for example the swell that I feel makes the knife fit my hand and palm like a glove. For those of you that have tried them are they worth it? Is it a drastic enough change that's it's like a whole different knife? Or should I try to find another remedy since I already enjoy the ergos as they are? Maybe micarta scales would round things out a bit for a better feel? Just trying to explore options.

I have one set of the AWT's I bought to try out primarily because I think the stock Manix (non-skeletonized liner version) is heavier than it needs to be. The AWT's took care of that gripe for me. They're very well made. The only actual ergo difference is they get rid of the hump on the front of the handle. Every other curve is the same, I've overlaid them on top of each other to check. The chamfering on the edges is nice and might resolve the sharpness issue you had with the G10 version. The weight difference is more noticeable than the lack of the hump though imo.

If you really want the hump on the grip, there's also the Rockscale Design titanium scales. Looks like they have the smoother jimping you're after too, though they're almost twice the price of the AWT's.

I've got the rockscale slim titanium scales and the AWT linerless scales for two of my manix 2s. For me, they're both an improvement over the stock scales because they're lighter and provide a more neutral handle shape. The AWT scales my favorite aftermarket scales and are absolutely what I would buy for a future manix 2.

I appreciate the replies. I guess my last question would be do you prefer the ano or cerakote AWT scales?

The Manix 2 is one of my favorite Spydercos and the jimping doesnt bother me.

The AWT scales are very popular but I dont own any yet.

I did buy a set of Rockscale Titanium Hexi Scales for my 15V version and they are very nice but pricey at $144. They eliminate the jimping and the liners.

AWT makes some nice scales, very ergonomic. I personally prefer Rockscale crawler edition scales, but for the money you can’t beat AWT. Also, there are a lot of colors to pick from.

it was an improvement for me on ergos

I've got the rockscale slim titanium scales and the AWT linerless scales for two of my manix 2s. For me, they're both an improvement over the stock scales because they're lighter and provide a more neutral handle shape. The AWT scales my favorite aftermarket scales and are absolutely what I would buy for a future manix 2.
Agreed 100%. My son has one of these and it feels much better with the AWTs.

His scales are anodized blue and look the pimpness on it.

i really like the AWT ones, especially since they add another standoff at the end of the handle by the layard hole. Otherwise, the only thing holding together the handle down there is the flared lanyard tube.

These appear to make a Native 5 LW the same weight as the G10 model, while adding $100 to the cost of the knife. AWT does say they add washers, which I'm assuming should make for a anoother action. I can't flick either of my Native 5 LW's open, assuming thats a function of the lockback.

Back