Marble's Congress

My father called me yesterday, and told me that he just bought me a Marbles Congress. Any thoughts, reviews, pics, etc..? Thanks!

If it's brand new it is likely of Chinese manufacture.

I have a Chinese Marbles Sowbelly Stockman, and it's not a terrible knife, but the scales bleed pigment and the overall construction feels like it would work itself loose if you strained it. That or snap a blade off. It just doesn't have the feel of quality of a nicer knife. But then, I think I paid less than $10 delivered for it. Like many Chinese knives it has a lot of appointments/features, but they're sort of crudely done. An imitation of something they don't quite understand thoroughly enough to imitate. For instance, it has matchstrike nail nicks, but they're sort of pressed-in and off center looking.

On the other hand, if it's an older, American made Marbles, it is a fine knife that anyone here would be proud to own.

-- Sam

Oh no...it's good ol' made in Gladstone MI. I lived by the factory when I was younger, that's why my dad got it for me. I will post pics, when it arrives at my house.

If I remember correctly, most of the folders (prior to going offshore) were contract made by Queen for Marble's.

I ordered one of the new Marble's imported Stockman patterns, only to have it backordered. Several of the Marble's patterns were sold out at SMKW, and the guy on the phone said that some go pretty quick. I switched to another brand for that order, as I was trying out different imported brands. The imported Marble's seem to be held in a little higher regard than some of the other imported traditional patterns. I have a Marble's on the list for my next order, so I'll do a side-by-side with the Rough Riders & Steel Warriors I have and see how they compare.

I haven't seen one of the old domestically produced Marble's, except for several fixed blades. I'm gonna pounce on the next domestic Marble's traditional I see...

thx - cpr

I just spoke with my dad on the phone. He said the knife has the Marble's stamps on all of the blades, comes with a black and orange pouch, and the box has a pic of the Marble's factory on it. It says Made in Gladstone, MI! He also picked up a Stockman with Mother of Pearl Handles. He said that mine has bone. I can't wait to get this thing (I had to get my glasses fixed in MI, so he is waiting to send it until those are done)! I'm not a fan of slippies, but this sounds like a good buy to me!!

GV,

Regardless of the stamp on the tang, that knife wasn't made at the factory in MI. All of those folding pocketknives (both domestic and foreign) are contract made by other manufacturers.

I have one of the Queen produced knives with the Gladstone tang stamp. It's a large stockman with blue "rope" jigged bone handles. On my knife at least I'd say fit and finish is excellent, on par with their S&M products. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your congress.

After I got my first Chinese Marbles, I was so impressed I ordered almost the whole line. People are always amazed by the heft and appearance of them. It's just the Chinese thing that I can't get past. Gradually they're just being gifted. Be careful though, the China mark is only paint or a light etch, some 1500 sandpaper will take it right off and match the finish. How would I know that?

After I got my first Chinese Marbles, I was so impressed I ordered almost the whole line. People are always amazed by the heft and appearance of them. It's just the Chinese thing that I can't get past. Gradually they're just being gifted. Be careful though, the China mark is only paint or a light etch, some 1500 sandpaper will take it right off and match the finish. How would I know that?

Oooh. That's a good idea. I'm gonna try that.

As for the Chinese-made Marbles, I'm convinced that they are made in the same factory as Rough Rider. Aside from the markings, the knives from both "companies" are identical.

Back