1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by jaz322, Mar 3, 2019.

1. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Not a lot of bushcrafting in NOLA this weekend but sure makes for a cool pic?!

Anyone else celebrate mardi gras?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    3fifty7, Lady1911, Wurrwulf and 3 others like this.
  2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    im drinking...does that count?:D

jaz322 and Lady1911 like this.
  3. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    My aunt and uncle live about 150ft away from where Endymion stages, and they have a big block party every year. Baby girl and I ran around, ate, and danced for 4-5 hours yesterday. I've got half a dozen co-workers that ride, so we caught them before the parade started and got baby girl some blinky goodies. We left before the parade started moving, though. We were both tuckered out. I'm not huge on parades, myself, but I'll be somewhere on Tuesday so my daughter can get some more excitement.

Fiddleback, jaz322 and Lady1911 like this.
  4. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Mardi Gras is an excellent time to practice survival skills. Foraging for food, drink and bathrooms is an art.

5. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    So true. Bathrooms are the most elusive of the three.

jaz322 likes this.
  6. Kobra67

Kobra67 Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2016
    Have been visiting New Orleans once to twice a year for the last 26 yrs. I would post the pics, but they would probably get me banned and I have to many knives left to buy.

Outpost Allison and jaz322 like this.
  7. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Amazing how the whole town parties. One time I just stumbled upon and crashed a random neighborhood party. Still the best block party that I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

jaz322 likes this.
  8. jaz322

Feb 1, 2015
    As a future point of reference, there are a ton of potty houses lined up at lee circle....if you’re brave enough. This was the view of them from my hotel room, which also looked down the st charles parade route at night. If you want to catch a bunch of ‘blinky goodies’ as @Wurrwulf put it, go to lee circle for a parade! You can walk right up to the fence in spots, which was impossible as I got closer to canal.
    046918CC-C392-4C2A-AA08-EFC13B7AA0E2.jpeg

Wish I could visit as much as y’all do. I get there about once every 3 yrs. Picked up a ton of smoked cajun meats again on this trip, a lot of which will be coming to Trackrock with me!

Also enjoyed some crawfish at a place in the westbank that looked like a freakn bait shop! They were the best!!
    13A2C09C-465D-4A7B-846A-E891FD3ABC5E.jpeg

9. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Heading home for a wedding in a few weeks. In fact, it's the same weekend as Trackrock so I'll miss out this year. I already have my shopping list ready. Jacob's in Laplace, Gnarly Barley, sack of oysters and maybe a sack of crawfish for a boil once I get back home. Plus the usual poboys and a stop for banh mi at Dong Phoung on the drive back.

Wurrwulf and jaz322 like this.
  10. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Dong Phoung was making the best king cakes this year....better than Randazzo’s and La Louisiane, in my opinion.
    At the moment, crawfish are running about $100/sack. Prices should get better before you get here though. ;)

jaz322 likes this.
  11. jaz322

Feb 1, 2015
    @NOLA @Lady1911 Thanks for the dong phuong recommendation. Can’t wait to try it on the next trip!

Lady1911 likes this.
  12. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    If'n ya running down hwy 90 west, you'll run thru New Iberia. There is a little place called Bon Creole. Thee best seafood & chicken-n-sausage gumbo & 2nd best poboys (very over stuffed). Also, Janes' Seafood is a great place to stop. Get there before they open, cuz an hour after opening, you'll be waiting in line. Keep running down 90 west & as you slip into Broussard, BJ's has thee best poboys. Ol' Time Grocery in Lafayette is run by the same peeps so poboys are the same. Gettin a couple sacks of crawfish in a few weeks. Can't wait. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I can't even tell you how much I miss parades. Cajuns have them for just about everything. Kid looses a tooth, parade. I miss that a lot.

Wurrwulf likes this.