mark on 25" Sirupati ?

can anyone translate what this stands for or who this is?
sweet-141.jpg

That is the H.I. mark in Nepals native wrighting! Devin....Can't remember how to spell it!:eek: ;)

Devanagari, to the best of my recollection. You'll have to ask Beoram about the relationship but I think it's a modernized cousin of Sanskrit.

Originally posted by Rusty
Devanagari, to the best of my recollection. You'll have to ask Beoram about the relationship but I think it's a modernized cousin of Sanskrit.

No, not exactly. Devanagari is the name of the writing system, like English is written in Roman letters, Russian in Cyrillic, &c. Ancient Sanskrit was written in quite a number of different systems; but Devanagari, through European scholarship, became standard in the 19th century for both Sanskrit and Hindi (and Nepali).

--B.

p.s. 'devanagari' means "(writing) of the city of the gods"

Originally posted by pendentive
neat stuff, eh?!!

Deva (='god') is a good word for seeing the relation between Sanskrit & European languages. Compare against Latin deus, English divine, &c.

--B.

OK, so it's the letters H and I in Devanagari. As I pored over the initials on my khuks, I couldn't help but comparing the characters with two guys with round noses, wearing bowler hats, looking to left. The left one has a drooping moustach and the other one, well, he's rolling his tongue, I think... Fascinating alphabet!

Originally posted by Johan van Zyl
OK, so it's the letters H and I in Devanagari. As I pored over the initials on my khuks, I couldn't help but comparing the characters with two guys with round noses, wearing bowler hats, looking to left. The left one has a drooping moustach and the other one, well, he's rolling his tongue, I think... Fascinating alphabet!

Took me a while to see this - but very amusing when I finally did ;) :D

It's actually syllables, not just letters - so the first is the syllable 'hi' (pronounce 'hee') and the second is the syllable 'i' (say 'ee'), as that is how abbreviations work in devanagari. THe 'bowler hat' of the first symbol is part of the 'vowel mark' of the 'i', continuing down to make up the 'neck'. The 'bowler hat' of the second is the additional stroke which shows that it is a long 'i' (without this, it would be a short 'i').

OK, so it's the letters H and I in Devanagari. As I pored over the initials on my khuks, I couldn't help but comparing the characters with two guys with round noses, wearing bowler hats, looking to left. The left one has a drooping moustach and the other one, well, he's rolling his tongue, I think... Fascinating alphabet

LOL!:D Now I CAN'T see anything but that!

Actually, I always though that one of 'em looked like an old geezer without his false teeth in.

I mentioned long ago that the letter on the left looked like an old fat bald headed guy that was sad, and then someone else came back and said, "No wonder, look at his nagging old lady in the other letter.";)

Thanks for scholarly help and funny stuff. It all looks right to me but remember I'm half blind.

Where you guys be picking up the shrooms? I never thought about looking letters the way you guys do...funny and yeppers do see the faces now...and edjumactional on the otherside of the pfennig...

Back