Mark v preview

This is a preview of the very first MARK V composite handle, which has a special BUG Variant head on it, The Scratch - especially made for this length of hawk cane.

I call it the Swenson Scratch Mark V, in honor of one of my all-time favorite custom knifemakers, Luke Swenson.

http://www.swensonknives.com/

Hopefully he will like this one.

It's not done quite yet, but i thought you brethren might like to see something new.

Big enough for a Texan maybe.
13.JPG

It's a generous 39 inches in length, before walking foot/spikes, or end plugs are attached.
01.JPG

Head Detail.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Scratch Talon Claw.
02.JPG

Modified BUG Penetrator Poll that I call the Triple Threat. (Poll. Penetrator. Pecker.)
05.JPG

Gen 1 Mark V's will be known for their straightness. That's three feet of blow gun, fire bellows, .50 caliber storage, Assegai-Axe Handle and more....
06.JPG

At barely 30 Ounces Base Weight, ...well ...I reckon that's a lot of Whoop-Ass Can Opener per Gram....
15.JPG

Feels like your very own trained giant Bird of Prey.
11.JPG

Awe, look ...she wants a home....
12.JPG

I hope that Brother Swede feels loved... this ol' girl is gonna be hard to part with....

vec

WOW!!!! what kinda tip you putting on it for walking?

i don't know.

the options are pretty limitless.

i like stuff that you can lose and just go down to the hardware store and get a spare for. the chloroprene plug makes a nice shock absorber, so you could put something like a 1/4 x 20 shouldered bolt in there, with some reinforcement around the exterior part, to toughen it,

....or you could stick a 1/2" bolt directly in the tube, or a chisel with a 1/2" shank.

....or more complicated stuff....

lots you could do at home.

i'm hoping that the Mark V is part of something really slick, development-wise, here at the Hawk Project.

wish us luck.

vec

vec

What's the outside diameter of the handle? If it's large enough you could just put a rubber cane tip on the end to protect the handle.

vec

What's the outside diameter of the handle? If it's large enough you could just put a rubber cane tip on the end to protect the handle.

the handle isn't round. a 1-inch diameter cane tip might work, but i doubt it.

i thought about putting a bolt in the bottom with a cane tip cemented on somehow, but i am resisting that idea.

we'll get it....

vec

So - what in terms of design and/or construction differentiates the Mark V from the Mark IV? New materials? Different construction methods? Improved manufacturing processes leading to better straightness?

So - what in terms of design and/or construction differentiates the Mark V from the Mark IV? New materials? Different construction methods? Improved manufacturing processes leading to better straightness?

yes to all the above, brother.

as an aside, straightness isn't that important to me, a little concavity in the direction of the bit can be very nice, as long as the handle is planar with the bit.

straightness is just a pleasant side effect to how i build the MARK V currently.

HTH.

vec

NICE, and thats a wicked mod to the BUG head.

the SCRATCH is a little too light for a proper hawk IMHO, as it has more material removed than the BUG (which is already light at 11 Ounces) - the SCRATCH is great for a cane hawk though.

a Rifleman's Hawk Head with a similar mod might have promise for a shorter hawk.

we'll have to wait and see.

vec

the SCRATCH is a little too light for a proper hawk IMHO, as it has more material removed than the BUG (which is already light at 11 Ounces) - the SCRATCH is great for a cane hawk though.

Oh, just think what a nice cane a WAR HAMMER head would make!

Poke, poke, prod, prod, hint, hint

Back