Marketing Question - need advice.

My wife carries a BuckTool in her backpack that she asked for, and got, as a present a couple of years ago. I've never actually seen her use it.

She also has a small SAK that she asked me for when I replaced it with a Micra. I've never seen her use that either.

Upon occasion, my wife will take my [30 year] old Buck Trapper out of the utility drawer and use it to open a box; then it goes right back in the drawer.

Dave

------------------
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of More Knives

Sal,

Two points:

I believe that Knifenut Husbands, Boyfriends or Fathers probably buy or prompt the purchase of knives by Non Knifenut Women.

The Leatherman Micra and small SAks have been the main exception to this. I have ended up buying several Micras for Non Knife ladies in my extended family. I work part time in a knife store and the vast majority of the knives I sell to non knife customers are Micras or SAK Classics.

My recommendation for a new Non Knife person focused product would be a small Multi-Tool with Scissors, Good Tweezers, nail file and a Ladybug Blade that fits easily on a keychain.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

My wife is a regional field manager who services a line of hardware in Home Depots. She needs to open a lot of boxes. When she has it with her, she uses one of those utility knives that use replaceable trapezoidal blades. If I'm around she borrows my SAK. Boxes are a primary reason for a woman to use a knife.

Things my wife often needs include: box cutter, tweezers, small screw driver, eye-glasses screw driver.

My wife has requested that I find a small device for breaking automobile tempered glass. Something like a machinist's spring-loaded center punch. She saw a special on TV about how a center punch can help you escape from a burning or sinking car.

In general I don't run across women who see a utility of carrying a knife. I have seen them carrying small clubs on their key rings. You might do well with a knife/yawara stick/rescue tool on a key ring. (Maybe it should also function as a whistle). Women seem to like to do what they are advised to do by "experts". If the experts tell them to defend themselves with their keys they try and use their keys. If they say "have a yawara stick on your key ring" women buy the big stick key rings. Boys and men pick up any old object and say "how can I kill and destroy with this object". Women listen to safety experts.

Women aren't attracted to carrying "weapons" as much as they are attracted to carrying "safety devices" which might include mace. A device that handles many perceived dangers might sell. You need to watch television to see what are perceived as dangers. There are attacker dangers, drunk driver dangers, medical dangers, sugar dangers, fat dangers, food additive dangers, tap water dangers... Most of these perceived risks can't be handled by anything in a knife format. For that reason knives struggle to find purse space as a safety device.

As a handy tool a knife has to strive to be as useful as a pocket sewing kit. A little kit with needle, thread, buttons, safety pins, and a tiny pair of scissors covers the familiar clothing emergency that is more what women expect to face and handle. I expect you'll find many more sewing kits in glove compartments and purses than all the pocket knife varieties combined. You might really be able to sell an analog of the hollow handled survival knife with a sewing kit in the hollow handle.

My design would be tubular, fit on an automobile key ring, have a small unserrated knife blade and a pair of scissors that are easily accessible and a tempered glass breaker that can be employed with one hand. There would be a pair of tweezers like an SAK. Inside the tube you would have a sewing and first aid kit.

Jeff:
My wife has requested that I find a small device for breaking automobile tempered glass. Something like a machinist's spring-loaded center punch. She saw a special on TV about how a center punch can help you escape from a burning or sinking car.

I was at a knife shop (Plaza Cutlery in Costa Mesa) last week, where a clerk showed me a serrated knife with a blunted tip to cut safety belts. The other end of the handle had a spring loaded punch exactly as you described, for breaking windows.

Might have been this Blackie Collins designed Smith and Wesson:
http://www.leelarae.com/knifecenter/smithwes/sw2.html

The S&W Grilon is made more for the first-arrival emergency crews. For the larger group of women drivers you need the smaller keyring model. I guess it really should have a one-hand opening belt cutter. It might be have a specialized belt cutting shape.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Clark (edited 02 November 1999).]

My wife must think I'm certifiably nuts, but Sal and the Spydee crew would love her. I call her on the phone a few minutes ago and actually asked her if she was designing a knife, what would she add to it. She says, "Now why in the hell would I want another knife? I already stole those two from you in the first place!" The objects of her kleptomania? Plain micarta Calypso Jr. and plain carbon Dragonfly. You guys should be proud.

Then I explained why I was asking. Her thoughts paraphrased here:

- nothing frilly or pastel-ly, just classy or nice looking, "kinda elegant, like the black one" (the Cal. Jr.), or "cool looking, like the carbon fiber one. And I like how the titanium on your Sebenza looks. It has to look good, not like some of those mutant craps in the magazines you bring home."

- has to be ergonomic, and fit well in the hands. "Women have smaller and more delicate hands, and guys just don't understand that. If it hurts us to use it, we'll never use it."

- a nail file, definitely, and maybe scissors and tweezers, more than that are "tools", and she has, in the past, shown very limited desire for those.

- "If it's small enough, a keychain or some way to attach it to one. How often do you see women actually using pockets? I don't know many at all. I hate wearing jeans with alot of crap stuffed into the pockets, it looks like hell. Women hang stuff off of keyrings or put them in their purses. If it's a bigger knife, then fine, you can use the clip to stick it it somewhere in your purse."

- I think she was done being serious by now when she added, "How about somewhere to put an emergency quarter for the tampon machines?" Sometimes, I'm glad I'm a guy...

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Sal
I am talking to my wife as I write this. She has a couple of small SAK's, along with a pink delica, pink cricket, a G-10 Harpy, and a CF ladybug. She says that it must be small enough to fit on a keychain but be large enough to be useful. A small scissiors would be nice. She carries the cricket in her purse all the time usually with a SAK for the scissors. The delica and harpy are garden tools for the rose bushes. Other than a nice looking handle, a little smaller size to fit her hand, easy opening and closing, and jewels, because diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Dwight

------------------
This post is a natural product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

My wife would like a one handed opening slip joint knife. She has trouble with even a lock back, but likes the ease of deployment.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Sal,
I'm going to let my wife speak for herself...

I've collected some knives (an Al Mar, a jade handled Browning, a couple Gerbers) and used to carry an SAK. (more on that later)... I'd like a small knife with a non-serrated blade (fruit cutting), a nail file, scissors, screw driver and a small prying tool (staple remover). It must be easy to keep clean so it wouldn't trap all the "bottom of the purse" lint and become hard to open. Ease of opening without damaging my fingernails would be a big bonus. I prefer an organic look to the scales (mineral or wood) - please no pastels! Chances are this knife would end up in my glovebox. As an attorney, I've found that even the smallest SAK won't get through any front-range Colorado courthouse security these days and in some jurisdictions the guards will impound rather than take temporary possession (protective custody?) for the duration of a visit. Thanks for the opportunity to speak out, Mrs. Christopher

Okay Sal, There you have it from the better half of this team.

christopher

Sal:

My wife likes the Clipit concept. She wears a lightweight Cricket on a daily basis, but she hides it inside her blouse (shirt?) where no one can see it. She thinks you should make some knives with attractive clips. Not that the current clips are ugly, but they don't do much to enhance a woman's wardrobe.

My wife also wants a multi-tool with magnetized screwdriver. When I told her she wouldn't be able to use it around some types of explosive devices she gave me "the look".

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
"Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz."

There are two questions here. The easier question is "What sort of knife would be more marketable to women?" The harder question is "How do we get more women in the market for non-kitchen knives of any sort?"

In another thread on another topic in the general forum ( www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000669.html ), "silverwing" said something worth repeating here:

. . . but i do remember my grandmother polishing her knife, and speaking to my very young self quite solemnly about the responsibilities of an adult woman--one of which was, in essence, to Be Prepared. a knife was the symbol of that, altho the knife a woman carried was expected to be a real tool, not a blunt symbol.

Being Prepared, in my tribal context, does not necessarily mean only being prepared to defend one's self, although that is definitely part of it. amongst my people, the women were the carriers of sacred things, both tangible and intangible. thus, it was our job to be sure we could defend those sacred things. women of my people were not expected to wait for the man to step forward! we are warriors, too, after all, in all the senses of that word.

but Being Prepared also meant being ready to perform whatever task might be at hand. we were an agricultural folk, and we also gathered many of the plants and such around our homes for various purposes (our village was about a day and a half's drive from the nearest town, no electricity, ok). you never knew when you might come upon something useful...so you were expected to Be Prepared.

I showed the woman who runs the "mailboxes" place I use sometimes a SpyderCard. She's a non-knife person, but she actually had a very positive reaction to it - loved it - thinks she'll buy one . . . for her husband. "What about you?" I said. I've had the same conversation too many times. "Nice! Mmy husband would like that!" Or "I love it! I should buy one for my son!" I've had women tell me that if they need a knife, they'll borrow one from a guy like me.

Now here we are, in a century that has seen women voting, driving cars, flying airplanes, going to boot camp, and joining the formerly male-only clergy of a bunch of denominations, still clinging to the stereotype that the universal tool that makes human life, as opposed to ape life, possible is a "guy thing."

Having a knife with you at all times is not just a defensive precaution. We humans didn't get away with having weak teeth and delicate hands with vestigial claws, the better to tie a knot and do other precise work, without having figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock on purpose! Practically everything we have that isn't found in nature is something we got using some sort of cutting tool somewhere in its making. If we had no enemies to defend against, or weapons that were superior to and more convenient than knives under every circumstance, we would still want to have knives with us.

It's painful to watch a woman, or a man, try to open a securly taped box with a key!

So here I am, preaching to the choir . . . .

Look how the tobacco industry doubled its market for a product that is useless and harmful. How can it be so hard to get to get the message across about a product that is useful and good?

After 29 years of a "mixed marriage" between a knife person and a non-knife person, Toni, a.k.a. The Wife, carries a Spyderco anywhere there isn't a metal detector. I got her to accept the Spyderco challenge. Gave her a Dragonfly. She agreed to carry it to humor me. Then she came home one day and said "You won." She had a box to open in the office, and reached for the Dragonfly, and it wasn't there, and she felt naked. Moment of enlightenment

So now she carries a larger, brighter Spyderco. She'd be carrying a wood-handled William Henry if it had a pocket clip.

First she recognized the utility of carrying a knife. Then she could say, "What knife do I want to carry?"

That was a long process that involved having a bunch of knife people in our mutual circle of friends, and not the result of an organized marketing campaign. I wonder how many terribly clever and persuasive ads in what venue it would take to speed that up.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Now some thoughts on "What knife for the other half of the market?"

I've done an unscientific survey with The Wife and two women who work in the office - older and younger than we are. They generally agree on "small and light." Pastel colors didn't do much for any of them, though one said a Pink Cricket would be easier to find in the bottom of a purse. If colors are a consideration, consider the colors that purses come in. Black and various shades of grey, various shades of brown, and off-white.

The Wife carries her Spydie-Herbst clipped to her pants pocket, but the other two said they wouldn't carry a knife in a way that anybody could tell they were carrying a knife. Wrong image as far as they were concerned. One of them now carries a Ladybug that I gave her and uses it all the time, and her husband turns to her for mundane cutting chores when they're out together, since he doesn't carry a knife.

All three in my little survey love the William Henry line. I mentioned that The Wife would be carrying a wood-handled one if it had a clip, but the other two would rather spend $200+ on some nice jewelry that they'd wear out in the open.

Small wood handled knives generally get favorable responses in my little survey.

Here's a traditional Finnish idea of a lady's knife: www.chaicutlery.com/kellam/kp20-tommi-450w.jpg - generally favorable response from my small survey, though they wouldn't carry it in town.

Here's a non-traditional Swedish idea of a lady's knife: www.chaicutlery.com/fallkniven/wm.jpg - likewise a favorable response, appreciation of its practicality, but the sheath said "guy's knife" to them. www.chaicutlery.com/fallkniven/wm-sheath.jpg

The blue Almite Navigator www.chaicutlery.com/spyderco/spy-is-cx02s-blue.jpg got a good response. So did the small Dyad and the aluminum Cricket.

The Matriarch got a bit of a shiver.

Favorable responses to a Calypso Jr. Lightweight and a David Boye folder with a bit of artwork in the thumb-push depression.

Enough for now . . .

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[gosh, mr. mattis. that's *twice* you've quoted me now. thanks! i'm beginning to feel like the BF poster gal
biggrin.gif
]

i've spent all day (home sick) working on this, and figured it was time to just post the dang thing and stop worrying about how long it was. "women & knives" is a passionate topic in our house! here's what i've learned from talking with nonknife galfriends/sisters...

there are two different issues here: knife design and knife marketing.

>>>> Marketing

yes, it's tough to get women to use knives at all! we're used to fingernails, teeth, dull scissors...marketing means, in part, showing women there's a better way, without becoming Rambette. it's not a quick fix: what's needed is a long-term process of education. knife use is really about self-confidence: being sure enough of yourself and your hands to know no one will get hurt, and knowing you are up to whatever the task is. my galfriends often don't trust themselves with a really sharp knife. one challenge of marketing is how to get the "point" of confident tool usage across to women.

what approach to take depends on how much advertising $$ makers can spend. you could put ads in places women will see them--craft mags would be a GREAT audience to begin with. women who sew, do beadwork, garden, are already accustomed to using/buying special tools. or how about getting a knifegal to write an article for those mags on knife use for/by women--with photos and brand names
smile.gif
or put ads/articles featuring women on the web where women will see them.

another ploy: role modelling--actresses using knives-as-tools on TV/movies. why don't we see jodie foster, the women of "Law & Order" or "Friends" using knives? someone ought to figure out how to get this to happen...if sandra bullock can use a knife safely, maybe my sister will realize she can too.

aw heck, go all out: sponsor a girl scout badge in safe knife use
smile.gif
smile.gif

>>>> Design

we're all saying the same things: current knife designs, for the most part, uh, aren't cutting it for women. (ouch, sorry)

ERGONOMICS: get a bunch of women together, pile a bunch o' sharp things in front of them, and stand back. my SO and I have done this experiment with our galfriends; here's what they (and i) have trouble with:

1. the opening radius is too wide, particularly on most Spydies. i don't know if it's hand geometry, strength or what, but my galfriends have trouble with that thumb-swing motion, because the required arc is too large. if's it's not easy to open, who wants to use it?

2. the mechanism is too stiff. what is a one-hander for big guys is a two-hander for most women. more force against the stiffness is required, and with less-strong hands, the extra force makes gals nervous about slippage (and carnage). opening/closing a stiff knife just "feels" more scary. plus, in an emergency situation, fumbling is a Bad Idea.

3. the locks are problematic. liner locks/lockbacks both require more force to release than most women are comfortable with. ridges on some liner locks (ex: afck) can be hard on women's skin. the placement of the liner lock makes my sisters who spend $$/time on manicures afraid of ruining their investment. my galfriends think lockbacks are dangerous because they have to have their fingers under the blade to push the lock open.

4. the handles are uncomfortable or unsafe to grip. the molding is wrong for our differently shaped hands. corners bite, finger cutouts are in wrong places, handles are too long/too thick to grip well.

5. weight/carry difficulties: many knives are too heavy for already overloaded purses, or for women's pockets (made of lighter materials). many women's clothes lack pockets/waistbands; we need to come up with carry options other than clips. it's too much trouble to dig around in The Purse From H*ll
wink.gif

FYI, the answer is not always the "mini" version, which i feel often lacks some essential quality of the full sized knife. the mini afck's shape is not as graceful/curved as the big afck; the mini axis (oops, sorry, not a spydie) has a narrow pointy blade that is not as solid as the fullsized blade. i want someone to shrink the big one, not take away things i like just to make it smaller.

STYLE/FUNCTION: if it looks tactical, my sisters won't want it. what they do want: handle colors (not pink, please). anodized metal (my galfriends love this!). handle designs a la mr. reeve (cheaper than gems or fancy scale materials). get wild--what about a spydie-type hole (closer to the pivot!) in the shape of a heart? or inexpensive goodies inlaid in the handle, like amethyst, turquoise, etc? or even a small amount of filework, like Corduroy & Frank R's lovely designs. or wood handles. or designs on the blade itself. but no serrations, too scary.

my galfriends like my BM 850 (gentle linerlock, anodized) and my CF cricket (pretty, small, interesting). they envy the purple on my mini socom, but think the overall knife is too scary; the lock is easy but it munches manicures. the black leopard cub i bought from mr. mattis is the one that prompts comments about gang membership
frown.gif

ok, i'm done now. guess you can tell i was just waiting to be asked
wink.gif
my humble abject grovellings for being so wordy. figured the details and ideas might warrant the length. thanks so much for asking, Sal.

silverwing

Thanks for putting the name on the forum together with the face I met at my table at Knife Expo in Pasadena!
biggrin.gif
By the way, that show will be in Buena Park next year. I'm one of the people who regret the demise of the clear (silver) anodized Benchmade Leopard Cubs, though the fact that I still have a few in inventory suggests that Benchmade wasn't selling them all that fast. Perhaps if they advertised in craft-oriented places?

In my small sample, the people buying the Pink Delica and Cricket are guys, either as gifts or just to be different. That shade is a lot like the paint job in a cell I saw (from the outside) at LA Police Dept. HQ, where they put combative prisoners to take the fight out of them. The city attorney dropped charges a week later, but that's another story.
wink.gif

I hadn't thought about the radius between pivot and thumb stud/thumb hole as a problem, but that might well explain why, in my unscientific survey, the subjects insist on opening one handed knives two-handed. I had thought it was my failure to correctly explain the technique. The receptionist in our office prefers the drop-handle opening style to a thumb push. Blades with Spyder-holes, or an Outdoor Edge Impulse, work for her.

Spyder-Heresy?
wink.gif
She says that a thumb push with a Spyder-hole is less fingernail-friendly than a thumb push with a thumb stud, and her fingernails are not especially long. I don't understand the logic behind long fingernails or nail polish, but I'm a guy. Maybe Spyderco should look at some of the Moki models such as Ironstone used to carry for this exercise. The smaller of these two discontinued Ironstone Mokis ( www.chaicutlery.com/spyderco/Moki920-921.jpg ) got a thumbs up in my little survey.

Maybe take a cue from those *&^#@$% knock-offs that put a big gnarly plastic thumb stud in place of the trademark Spyder hole. How about offering some after-market Spyder-Hole inserts, to fit some of the more popular models, in a few different colors and designs (a gold bug?) to transform the hole into a big thumb stud for those whose fingers work better with it?

How about a two-blade locking folder, such as the Dyad, with thumb studs instead of holes, and maybe folding scissors in the middle?

Of course, no one model will appeal to all those women who have moved on from "Why would I carry a knife?" to "What knife should I carry?" Look at how "knife guys" argue over knife design in these forums as if they were talking religion and politics!

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

How about a two-blade locking folder, such as the Dyad, with thumb studs instead of holes, and maybe folding scissors in the middle?

Hey, from the people who brought you the Spyderench and the Spydercard, why not a SpyderShear? Double chisel-ground Calypso style blades that open as a knife (singly) or scissors (together, like those little folding scissors at the sewing shops).

Guys will want them too. Stopped by a LEO, you just explain that you're carrying a folding scissor for errant threads.

James Mattis- my girlfriend had a similar experience, she was at work, went to open a box, realised she forgot her knife, and said she felt naked
smile.gif
i was so proud of her
smile.gif

anyways, she has(had?) the same problem with the opening radius of most one handers.
I took her to the blade show last year, and had her try out a whole bunch of knives so i could get her one she liked. the only ones she liked were the elishewitz, so i got her one of those, but in the past few months she's adopted one of the stray delicas i have. The elishewitz has a thumbstud that is flush with the handle when open-it also serves as a blade-stop. perhaps the opening radius is smaller?

also, she said handle size and shape is a problem for her, as well as weight. Most handle designs dont work for her(or me either, i have small hands for a guy).

another problem i have encountered when trying to get female friends to carry knives is that they tend to invariably view them as weapons instead of tools. No matter how hard i tried, i couldnt get them to think of it primarily as a tool, and when i finally do convince someone to try carrying a knfe, they return a few days later with "so and so told me that it will just get taken from me and used against me" Which is frustrating on multiple levels-they are still thinking of the knife exclusively as a weapon, on top of the dont carry weapons cause someone will hurt you with them thing.

sorry, rambled on a bit.
if anyone has any good arguments for convinceing people(especially women) to try carrying a knife, let me know, i have a few people ive been trying to convince but they are too stuck on the 'weapon' thing.

------------------
AKTI member #A000911

Thanks for putting the name on the forum together with the face I met at my table at Knife Expo in Pasadena!

hee hee...yep, that's me. quite an impressive memory you have there.

i think the opening radius has a lot to do with why women prefer the two-handed approach. i also think there may be two other factors at work: the self-confidence i mentioned above, and also something about the differences in hand-eye coordination between men and women.

if a woman feels at all nervous about something in her hands, she'll do as Mom told her and "use both hands". if a woman is not used to knives, particularly very sharp knives, particularly folding knives, she will make herself more comfortable by "lending herself a hand" so to speak.

and hand-eye coordination, well, this is just a guess...but males have more experience with tossing things around one-handed, like baseballs and such. a particular female might have just as much coordination as a male, but she won't have as much practice using it.

i think i have an idea about the spydie-hole-as-manicure-munger too. i notice that women tend to put the tip of their finger/thumb *inside* the hole, rather than laying the pad of their thumb on top of the hole. this could be due to their smaller thumbs not being able to cover the hole, or a difference in the angle at which the folder is being held, or to their thumbs being too short to reach all the way across the hole, landing partway inside instead.

even though the state of my fingernails horrifies my manicurist sister, i also prefer thumbstuds (sorry, Sal). i can get better leverage, and a more secure "grip" for the thumb to land on. studs are usually closer to the pivot than the Spydie holes are. also, the push point for a hole is the far rim, increasing the radius even more.

i *love* the idea of inserts for the spydie holes! if you were to offer a variety of them (flowers, hearts, "spydie", initials) it would appeal to the wish many women have to decorate & personalize their possessions.

if you want a multi-blade, i'd say skip the second blade and just make it one blade plus scissors. less intimidating, extremely useful.

if we all agreed on knife design, there would be only one kind of knife, and where would the fun in that be? i'd have to go join a linux sysadmin's forum--a fate worse than ...

silverwing

My wife likes the SAK classic, very small and has scissors.The younger ladies that are friends of my daughter like the Cricket Zytel withplain edge. I've supplied 4 or 5 of these and they all turned down the pink, they prefer the black.They all seem to just put in their make up bags or pockets. The clip doesn't seem to be important.

lbwheat

Here's a picture (not yet linked on my web page, pending update) of some mostly mostly cheap knives from Sweden.

www.chaicutlery.com/mora/redmoraknives.jpg

Our office receptionist (female) uses the one on the left, an Eriksson 2/0 with about a 3" blade, as a letter opener, and finds it a good handy size and shape. I showed her the not-so-cheap Helle Ola on the right, and she almost stole if from me. ;-)

Perhaps the new product doesn't have to be a folder.

But we still need to get past the "I am a peaceable respectable woman, and so I do not have a knife!" problem. When I polled our receptionist on the red Scandinavian knives, a lady tax client came in, and so I mentioned rather briefly the unscientific survey I was doing, and the conversation went:

"Why would I carry a knife?!"
"Why would anybody not carry a knife?"
. . . .
She said she had scissors with her to peel an orange with. If something needs to be cut, use anything but a knife to cut it!
frown.gif

Oy!

Missionary religions have these sorts of discussions about reaching out to the heathen.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

This is a good topic as many of us have bought knives for our spouses/daughters/friends etc.that are never used.
I spoke to both my mom and spouse about this.Both are artists and the wife likes knives.Here is the summary of their comments.
Although some do not like colors such as pink(delica)others do so you can't write these off.
Sized to fit hands is very important.
Being able to open and especially close any locking mechanism is vital.No matter how nice the knife if they have trouble closing it it is no longer desirable.Very stiff locks sre disliked.
Nice elegant look.I realize this is very subjective.I once bought some camillus folders that had sante fe stoneworks handles such as malachite,turqouise,etc.They loved these.
The camillus lever lock is easy to open for someone with long fingernails but the appearance to them is just so-so.I think if they made one with a different look it would sell.
spydercos are liked and easy to open.
Clips are well liked.
To my suprise They both liked neck knives extremely well.
I gave the wife once a rare good quality Phillipine balisong that was smaller then normal.Total length about 5.5 inches with a stag handle.She loves it but I know from other threads the balisong situation right now is not so great.
Dodn't mean to ramble on so much.hope this helps.

------------------
Tim

Back