Marlin 1895GS lever action in 45-70

All Marlin levers are sweet, especially when broken in. But I've got a wild one- Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP. Takes the regular Colt 1911 pistol clip, but you can buy 15 rounders. Not a gun for hunting, but a super plinker. PITA to clean, though, and a non-robust (weak) sear linkage design known to chain fire automatic bursts... mine has slam-fired some double taps- adds to the fun. :D

AA

Didn't know about the weak sear.

I had a Garand go full auto once.

munk

mPisi said:
The Guide Gun is on my list of must-haves too. My wife actually tried to buy one for me a few years ago, she craftily took notes while I was pining for a used one that was on the local forsale newsgroup.

If you're looking for a good ghost-ring sight, XS Sight Systems has one for the GS. They are local to me and are good guys, always supporting our shooting matches. They also have good forward scope mounts. Enjoy your new rifle!

Who has tried out the scout scope? I have always had very bad eyesight so I like scopes. However, probably due to the fact I don't always keep the best position while shooting, I sometimes have a problem with the scope "blacking out" on me or not being able to see through it, if that makes any sense. I compensate, at least on my .22s by getting my eye close to the scope. I don't know if a scout scope would work for me, but it sounds like the best compromise for us blind guys

45-70 likes the scout scope.

From your post, it does not sound as if scopes are being mounted in the position you will most likely use them. There shouldn't be any 'black outs'. The eye relief is wrong. Are these good scopes? Cheaper ones are stingy on eye relief.

munk

munk said:
45-70 likes the scout scope.

From your post, it does not sound as if scopes are being mounted in the position you will most likely use them. There shouldn't be any 'black outs'. The eye relief is wrong. Are these good scopes? Cheaper ones are stingy on eye relief.

munk

They are all bushnell sportsman. Since they are all the same model, they probably all have the same eye relief problem for me. Thanks.

I put a Burrus compact 4X scope on my Marlin. It works great.
I am not enthusiastic about the idea of a scout scope with a forward mount. I havn't used one, but I would think that it would be slower. Does it reduce field of view?

The small Burris works great and doesn't add too much weight or change the balance too much. Peeps were fine, but my eyes sure have fuzzed out.

Ad Astra said:
All Marlin levers are sweet, especially when broken in. But I've got a wild one- Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP. Takes the regular Colt 1911 pistol clip, but you can buy 15 rounders. Not a gun for hunting, but a super plinker. PITA to clean, though, and a non-robust (weak) sear linkage design known to chain fire automatic bursts... mine has slam-fired some double taps- adds to the fun. :D

AA

I have the Marlin Camp Carbine (now discontinued) as well. I load McCormick 10 rounders in it. Great little gun; only problem is the lousy out of the box trigger, and most smiths can't do much with a military style 2 stage trigger.

I called Marlin and complained and they said they would only fix the trigger pull if it was over 8 lbs. Well, of course as measured by my electronic trigger pull gauge they make the thing at exactly 8 lbs, and it is a creepy, sluggish gritty 8 lb. pull. Ruins an otherwise fine little gun. I had a 4X fixed scope on it, but am going to change to a smaller holosight or other red dot sight as that would be perfect on this sized rifle.

Thanks,

Norm

Hm, Norm, make sure you have a new (rubber) recoil reducer in it- another common flaw with these otherwise great guns is the bolt recoil breaks the stock (in both 9mm & 45 ACP models). I remember updating a lot of parts in mine- the rubber or synthetic pad that the bolt hits had broken down to dust Never clean with Gun Scrubber- it eats synthetic/rubber parts). Great Marlin customer service- they will make you as many stocks as break- I requested & got a nice feather stripe stock for mine.

Here's a page on these things:
http://members.aol.com/fourn6/camp97.html

It chain fires- is poorly designed- stock breaks- hard to clean (takedown pinned mechanism)- makes me wonder why I like it so much.

AA :( :D

AA, where do you get the new rubber recoil reducers? Is that something I need to purchase from Marlin directly?

Thanks,

Norm

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/index.cfm

I'm a firm believer in these things. I put them into a SKS & Mini-14.

I just checked their site, though, and they don't seem to have- I must have gotten mine from Marlin. I believe I ordered 2 or 3, as they wear & age. It's a white rubber thing about the size of dice.

A must have though, if you don't want the bolt smashing through the stock- it happened to mine. The previous owner just put a synthetic stock on it. When I bought it off him, I sent the old stock back to Marlin and they made me a beautiful one.

Hope this helps.

AA

Shann, I have a Bausch and Lomb scopechief, or was it a buschnell scopechief? At any rate, it has very tight eye relief, or all gets blacked, and that scope was Bushnell's top of the line, until it became B and L's lower entry. This was probably 10 years ago.

You need to buy a good scope. That means you need to spend at least 200 dollars for only a fair one. Go to a good pawn shop, not a bad one where they sell used for the price of new. They'll have used scopes. Go to a gun store and look through scopes and find one that seems good to you. Then find one in pawn if you don't have 4 to 8 hundred dollars.

munk

The Marlin is more accurate than the Winchester. Sorry, Win fans, but it is true.
However, I once had a chance to buy a Win in 375 but did not do it. Waaaaaaa.....

munk

Shann said:
Who has tried out the scout scope? I have always had very bad eyesight so I like scopes. However, probably due to the fact I don't always keep the best position while shooting, I sometimes have a problem with the scope "blacking out" on me or not being able to see through it, if that makes any sense. I compensate, at least on my .22s by getting my eye close to the scope. I don't know if a scout scope would work for me, but it sounds like the best compromise for us blind guys

With a bit of practice the scout scopes are great. What you do is keep both eyes open. (This is where the practice part comes in) with me at least I had a hard time not closing my off eye. I had worked hard at training it to close as I brought the rifle up. Once you are used to it, the crosshair and the surrounding slightly magnified area float int he center of your field of view. As I am right handed, my right eye looks through the scope, the loss of field of view is not as great as one thinks.

Normally a blacking out of a scope is due to improper eye relief or the scope being mounted at an angle in respect to the eye of the shooter. Are you getting black slices around the perimeter of the scope or a blacked out field of view through the scope?

Back