JackBoots

BANNED
What is a Marlin Spike for ?

Particularly on a boat/sailor knife ?

Thank you,

JB

Originally posted by WillyD
I'd say untying knots ?
You would be correct. It's for slipping into knots and getting some slack in the ropes to help facilitate the untieing of the knot.

But it's also great as a emergency beer can hole puncher.

The species of 'marlin' are one of the most abusive, arrogant and ugly drunken fishes known in coastal taverns. I've seen these fish get so obnoxious that hookers and bikers just pay up and leave the saloon. No one believes their blatant lies of daring-do. Push one too far and they are quick to fight. Sharp Phil tried to eject a marlin from a boat show and got back-handed so bad with a dorsal fin that he thought he was Jerry VanCook for two weeks.

Despite this demeanor, many of them cannot hold their liquor and 'spiking' a drink works well. People used to snag their glasses with anything handy and dump in what was come to be called a 'mickey fin.' Sailors started carrying this device on their folding knives, and the name stuck.

In 1957 the Seminole Indians sued, and won, the right to buy liquor in a public saloon. However, in Tarpin Springs, under their uniquated dram law, it is still illegal to serve a marlin.:D

Accually the Marlin Spike serves another purpose than untieing knots. Most of the time, on a boat under sail you don't have time to untie a knot, and unless your talking about running rigging I use the blade, as in cut the rope to untie a knot. The Marlin Spikes main purpose is as an aid in splicing rope or cable. With twisted rope, you would use the Marlin Spike to slip between the separate strands of rope and hold them open while you sliped another strand underneath in some form of splicing technique, for example a short or long splice. For more information check any book on nautical rope work that includes a chapter on splicing. Have good Day!:)

One of my hobbies is tying decorative knots.

I find a Marlin Spike very useful for both tying and untying, you can push it into a knot to loosen it up, you can grip part of a knot to pull and tighten, it helps to keep strands separate for splicing.

In general it´s a tool for working with rope and cord in the same way that a knitting needle is a tool for working with yarn.

I find it surprising that it´s not much used by campers and climbers.

I used to use one for untying badly knotted shoelaces. (Now I use a small knife steel :) )

I find it surprising that it´s not much used by campers and climbers.

That is exactly what I use them for. They are perfect for breaking knots in paracord, nylon & poly rope and for breaking tension in flat nylon webbing.

Someday, Spyderco will finally release their Yachting knife and I will be a happy camper.

Back