Maryland Knife Law Question

So, if the clip and butt of my Microtech are visible at the top of my pocket, it's not concealed?
You would have to be a bit more thorough in that evaluation. Think of a person in your life who doesn't know anything about knives. Would they be able to look at it and know it's a knife? Better yet, put it in your pocket and ask them.

Also don't engage in criminal behavior and thereby give the police a reason to be going through your pockets in the first place.

I have debated many times whether to carry an auto knife since I would only do that if it had a pocket clip. Almost every thing I have read on this subject sounds like the very best way to avoid trouble is simply not doing anything that would call unwanted attention to yourself by a Leo.

I have debated many times whether to carry an auto knife since I would only do that if it had a pocket clip. Almost every thing I have read on this subject sounds like the very best way to avoid trouble is simply not doing anything that would call unwanted attention to yourself by a Leo.

I would not carry an auto in MD.

Hello i was wondering if it is legal for me the carry automatic knives in Maryland. For example I specifically want to carry the MicroTech halo 5 (i'll put a image bellow) can someone please let me know if it is legal to conceal carry or open carry thank you
MT1501nnn.jpg

Nick, fellow MD native here (arbutus). I've been a member here for a little while, I don't posthink much as to my knowledge does not extend as far in this subject as most here. I am a fellow knife knut with a now small collection by due to my past experiences with ignorant law enforcement in this state I Carry a small piece of paper in my wallet with MD knife law, statute numbers and pertaining case law.

Also remember that knife laws in Maryland vary by county and locale.

For instance, Ocean City has VERY restrictive restrictions and enforcement.

Another MD native here (Parkville) I’ve carried my UTX-85 clipped in my pocket a couple of times without issue, but ultimately decided, like others here, that it wasn’t a great idea. The definition of open carry and whether a clip and glass breaker sticking out of the top of my pocket met that definition was just a little vague for me and I didn’t want to become a test case.

The Microtech is now a safe queen and a PM2 is usually in my pocket

Native Towsonite here...autos are definitely not legal to carry. The gist of state knife laws is basically its an auto “switchblade” and illegal to carry or its not.

Assisted open is supposed to be OK, unless you’re Freddie Gray of course...oh boy, I went there...

Native Towsonite here...autos are definitely not legal to carry. The gist of state knife laws is basically its an auto “switchblade” and illegal to carry or its not.

Assisted open is supposed to be OK, unless you’re Freddie Gray of course...oh boy, I went there...
You might want to read the rest of the thread...

When it’s stated you can carry a auto as long as it’s not concealed what exactly defines that? Being in your pocket and the pocket clip is visible is that considered open carry or is it still concealed being inside of your pocket? Maryland knife laws are not only out of date they are too confusing. I own many, many auto’s and OTF and I do on occasion carry a auto with a pocket clip, I live in Baltimore county and never had any issues with LEO. Also is the carry length 3” and under or is any length legal as long as it’s not concealed? Again being in your pocket with a pocket clip is that still considered concealed? Let’s face it Maryland is a very restrictive state when it comes to any form of personal protection.

When it’s stated you can carry a auto as long as it’s not concealed what exactly defines that? Being in your pocket and the pocket clip is visible is that considered open carry or is it still concealed being inside of your pocket? Maryland knife laws are not only out of date they are too confusing. I own many, many auto’s and OTF and I do on occasion carry a auto with a pocket clip, I live in Baltimore county and never had any issues with LEO. Also is the carry length 3” and under or is any length legal as long as it’s not concealed? Again being in your pocket with a pocket clip is that still considered concealed? Let’s face it Maryland is a very restrictive state when it comes to any form of personal protection.

I also live in Baltimore county. There is no blade length law in Maryland. I've never has issues with LEO'S either but I still carry the little paper stated above. In MD as long as it can be reasonably discerned that it's a knife (at least pocket clip maybe a piece of the handle to be safe) it's not considered concealed (Polk v. State)

I also live in Baltimore county. There is no blade length law in Maryland. I've never has issues with LEO'S either but I still carry the little paper stated above. In MD as long as it can be reasonably discerned that it's a knife (at least pocket clip maybe a piece of the handle to be safe) it's not considered concealed (Polk v. State)
Do you have a copy of the piece of paper that you carry you could share?

Eh, sort of. If you look at the listing, the only two certified dealers in the state have the exact same address, an junky little auction house way out in St. Leonard that rents temporary retail space. Also not all of microtech's products are autos.

I just want to emphasize, the law is the law. Just because people break it doesn't change what the law is. But hey, if they're selling autos illegally, it's their risk and not yours if you buy.

Correct that not all Microtech's are autos, even though autos and OTFs are what they're primarily known for. They do the Socom folders with the thumb studs and the Tachyon balisongs. Protech makes some non-automatic stuff as well.

Eh, sort of. If you look at the listing, the only two certified dealers in the state have the exact same address, an junky little auction house way out in St. Leonard that rents temporary retail space. .

Just for clarification's sake, the knife shop in St. Leonard is called Ye Ole Cutlery & Gift Shop and it is far from a "junky auction house" (it is also a supporter of this website). It's one of the nicest knife shops I've ever seen. Hinderer, Chris Reeve Knives, Spydero, Benchmade, … they have an extremely nice selection of quality knives.

Just for clarification's sake, the knife shop in St. Leonard is called Ye Ole Cutlery & Gift Shop and it is far from a "junky auction house" (it is also a supporter of this website). It's one of the nicest knife shops I've ever seen. Hinderer, Chris Reeve Knives, Spydero, Benchmade, … they have an extremely nice selection of quality knives.
At the time I originally said that, which was more than a year ago, my google search failed to reveal this business at all. Microtech's dealer site just said "MDG Specialty" and gave an address. Put that into google, got an auction house with empty retail space. Now that you named them, I was able to find the actual shop. They look really nice, but are a long way away. Maybe later this year i will make the trip.

My original remark still stands that if they are selling true automatic knives, they are breaking state law, period. There is no police or military exception for this law (CR 4-105). I don't care, I have no intention to rat on them, but that is the law.

Back