Mas Ayoob's view of the Gunting

Mas Ayoob just wrote a great piece on the Gunting for ShotgunNews..
I'm honored that a man like Mas really likes the Gunting...

"all that aside, the Gunting is an HISTORIC knife design because of its dual function, and the specific training available that is geared around this particular instrument"

"Spyderco is to be commended for having the courage to'boldly go where no knife-maker has gone before.' The Gunting's uniqueness of purpose as well as its uniqueness of design makes it one of the most fascinating new knives of 2001"

" Bram Frank is one of our nations leading knife fighting instructors....Bram gave me a quick once-over with a few of his( Gunting) techniques. ow. ow OW!"

hmmm.. I guess Mas liked me and the Gunting.
thanks Mas..for the great review and the kind words about me. the Gunting & Spyderco!!!

He did a great test on the Chinook as well. I greatly respect his openions. The Nashville Metro officer I train under was in turn trained by Massad. I'm starting to think he likes Spydercos, hee hee! RKBA

Gadi: its a long article..don't know if its correct ( PC or ethical because of copyright)to post it that way..

I'll bring a copy with me to Israel..
dinner in Jerusalem I believe is in the cards????????????

Copyright is 400 words or 25% of the words in the article, whichever is less.

The source must be cited and if the source is online, must be linked.

I learned this in the past 3 months from another forum. You can post the gist of it, or, I doubt if M. Ayoob would deny permission to re-print it here.

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.
Some of my Knives and other neat things

My respect for Massad Ayoob is IMMENSE and I will pretty much take as given anything he says. He knows his stuff. But I have to wonder about advocating for this particular knife, the Gunting. Isn't that the one that is shaped something like a gun so that the blade points forward aggressively when held in the hand like a gun? It seems that in our present culture it would be impossible to demonstrate that one acted in self defense if *that* was the knife one used. Too many people look at the "nastiness" of the appearance of a defensive tool and assume that the user must have been looking for trouble. Imagine if you had to defend using those evil Black Talon cartridges even if you could show that six guys were coming to kill you and rape your wife and two teenaged daughters. You'd STILL catch flak from the anti-gun media; they'd say you were "over-prepared" and accuse you of *wanting* to have to shoot somebody. I fear that the same would happen if you were to use a Gunting defensively. Perhaps those knives are best kept as "nice to have" pieces, and we are to be relegated to using knives that are more "P.C.-friendly," as idiotic as that is.

Peace,
The Gunting is a "NICE friendly" knife!
The only comment from one of my anti everything friends was,"What is that"? It
doesn't LOOK like a knife!Then she wanted me to show it to her, after explaining why it looked the way it did & how it was supposed to be used,she thought it was ok,but still said it was ugly(sorry Bram)!
jim

peacefuljeffrie..oops you've got the wrong knife..the one you are decribing was designed by Mas himself..the Ayoob MBC folder..it holds in a pistol grip..But I doubt anyone will EVER think its a firearm..or look like a firearm...
what you are thinking of is NOT a Gunting..

Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement magazine just said in the write up of the Gunting: quote
" Far too interesting to describe here ( in new for SWAT) the Gunting may just be the best less-lethal pocket tool EVER designed."

yes they said other great things and echoed Mas's and others like Mike Janich in the opinion of the Gunting...

Thank you all for giving it, the Gunting, a chance!

Back