Masamoto Sohonten

Im not sure if anyone here will find this interesting. I was in Tokyo in April and I went knife shopping and picked up two knives from Masamoto Sohonten. In Japan they are regarded as one of the finest producers of sushi knives and are used in many professional kitchens in Japan. I ended up buying a Yanagiba for the Chef at the restaurant that I work at and also a Virgin steel Gyuuto for myself. Here are just a couple of pics and a short video I shot of them sharpening the yanagiba.

IMG_7826.jpg

Outside the store. Located North Tokyo within walking distance from the Kappabashi Market where you can buy anything kitchen related.

IMG_7827.jpg

Left wall

IMG_7831.jpg

Right side

IMG_7828.jpg

The majority of the knives are not sharpened. After you purchase a knife they take about 30 minutes and sharpen it and then wrap in a beautiful packaging before you leave.

IMG_7832.jpg

They were nice enough to serve us tea while we waited. This is my wife and my son sharing some tea :)

IMG_7833.jpg

Yanagibas!

Here is a video of the yanagiba that I purchased being sharpened. My Chef at work is also in knives and I made this for him so he could see what I was bringing back for him.

http://youtu.be/aJP-36Arc44

Thanks for looking.

TornAdo

This is cool and I like the idea of selling unsharpened knives. However, I'd probably opt to sharpen it myself since that's the first thing I do with my new knives!

Thanks for sharing, this is cool to see.

800grit sounds (lol guess)?

i'm not sure. Later on he was sharpening with a stone that barely didn't make any noise at all.

Thanks for sharing, this is cool to see.

My pleasure. I'm glad someone enjoys this stuff besides me lol. My wife and other friends think somethings wrong with me :)

Thank you for the fascinating report! What was your impression of the sharpening job performed on both the gyuto and the yanagiba?

Back