mason tiler's sword

looking for a masonic sword, a tiler's sword to be specific. there are lots of templar swords out there but these wouldnt be the same as a tiler's sword in a blue lodge. also i am not necessarily looking for a cheap replica, a hand made imitation would be actually preferable.

if anyone has any insight on this, it would be much appreciate. thanks.

edit:
found some detail, its wavy, no sheath.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6519/swordc.jpg

Last edited:
When I was Tiler, I used a Del Tin bastard sword, or a French artillery sword. You can use any type of sword your lodge is ok with.

Awesome Matt. I love cocobolo too, and am loving what you've been doing with it. Keep up the good work!

Just out of interest..........

In Rhodesia during the bush war most of the lodges had armed guards particularly those in small towns.
A friend of mine who was a past master at my lodge and ex-Rhodesian Light Infantry told me that when he was a tiler during the war he carried his FAL instead of a sword and most of the members were armed.

Personally I always attended workings with my "lodge gun"........a Walther PPk

BKS is certainly capable of doing flamberge blades.

I am cuious about the source for the book text, as a good many different swords were common for the purpose by the end of the 19th century.

This one popped up on Ebay thse past days and I pulled some pictures for reference. Ebay 330658839692
wavy.JPG

I am not a Free Mason but look at a lot of swords and traits. Curious that this one is in the Netherlands but not surprising. The skull pommel and momento mori etching along with other elaborations are not uncommon with both continental and British masons. This one was interesting enough to harvest the pictures. Keep in mind that mAke An Offer means that the listed buy it now is often fanciful. Someone might manage to snag this at a good price. The work on it is above and beyond most of the American fraternal market.

American masons were using a variety of swords for Tylers/tilers (men at arms). At the same time before the ACW, the Odd Fellows were favoring and bought a lot of Ames artillery gladius with heavy appropriate etchings. There are a fair number of Ames Templar daggers out there as well.

I figured to post this up, as the flamberge bladed ones do not turn up very often. I don't have all of the images uploaded to share, as it is still a running auction and don't need to steal anyone's thunder if they are looking to grab it.

Cheers

GC

Back