Massdrop knife collabs

Redwood25

Gold Member
Just curious as to people's thoughts on these. Massdrop (oops, I guess they call themselves just "Drop" now) sells knives on their site from many different builders. Often the do collaborative efforts that seem to be a more inexpensive knife built generally based on another more custom knife. I haven't bought any of these, but one popped up as available that looks cool, and kind of interests me. Gotta admit I'm thinking about buying one just for kicks.

For what it's worth, the one in question is a Kirby Lambert collab. And I just might get one.

As anyone here bought one of these Massdrop specific models? Obviously they are licensed out versions done with the designer's blessing, but I am curious what your thoughts may be if you've bought any of these models?.....

I have several of the MD (Drop) produced knives. I have a Falcon, Gent, Prism, Perpetua, Orca and the Terzoula CTF. I really like the Gent and the CTF. The Perpetua is a nice knife, once I changed out the clip. The prism is just a bit weird. The Falcon and and the Orca look nice but they don't feel good in hand.

All the knives are well made by reputable shops like WE, Reate, Millit and Ferrum Forge...so no problems with build quality. For the most part the prices are compelling. The Lambert collab is made by Reate, so the quality should be great on it.

I like what Drop is doing with the collaborations. Some of these knives might never make it to production without their support and financial backing. Drop seems to catch a lot of irrational hatred because they're not "the way your father bought a knife"...but I don't think they're about to go away any time soon.

I say go for it. If the Lambert Raine was a little smaller, thinner and lighter I'd be taking a hard look at it myself. $250 for a Reate with the level of finish that the Raine offers looks like an awesome deal. Unfortunately, its bigger and heavier than I usually ever carry.

I was on the MD train last year and I bought a Buc, a Gent and a Laconico Keen. They’re all what I’d call “budget” or modestly priced knives and of decent but not exemplary quality. They’re all OK knives, but they’re just not in the same league as CRK, Begg, Hinderer, etc knives--which is expected since the MD knives cost less than half what those other brands cost. MD hasn’t reached me with anything they’ve floated so far this year and I’m starting to think that I’ve outgrown my MD phase.

Like any knife company (I know, Drop is not a knife company), they have hits and misses in terms of design but I wouldn't really be worried about the quality. As the other mentioned, they are made by good reputable companies.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware these are generally going to be a "budget" version of a fancier knife, but honestly, some companies can do very well like that. On a whim, I'm going to take a chance on the Lambert model built by Reate. I've never had a Reate blade, and I've heard and read good things. We'll see......

I have purchased several knives from massdrop and have never been let down. Mostly, surprised by the quality. They are budget friendly, but with a great value packed in. It is a minimal risk endeavo in my opinion.. I hope you enjoy the blade when ya get it Redwood25!

I only have one Drop knife, the Gent, but it is great, especially for the price. It's a really astounding amount of value for around $100 (a bit higher I think for some special models in rosewood and CF). With a 3 inch blade and only 2.4 ounces, it is a great little EDC and I use it frequently. Feels great in hand and I really can't find any fault with it at all. Some have complained about the pocket clip, but I like the deep carry and haven't had any problems with it. Drop, Ferrum Forge, and the OEM We really nailed this one at any price.
UtgJoqE.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware these are generally going to be a "budget" version of a fancier knife, but honestly, some companies can do very well like that. On a whim, I'm going to take a chance on the Lambert model built by Reate. I've never had a Reate blade, and I've heard and read good things. We'll see......
Let us know how you like it! And congrats!

drop recently had the kershaw copper natrix for only $50, which is quite a bit lower than any pricing I've seen

I have two of the Drop/Laconico Keens and a Drop/Ferrum Forge Crux. They are among my favorite knives and are unbeatable value for money.

3F8DE468-1FFF-4979-8463-3A1CAC13B1A0.jpeg C1B3D0AA-B6B6-48FB-9E01-504C6AEA838D.jpeg I bought the Boker FR they offered with S35vn blade, that was a QC disaster. I also have a couple of Gents. They both have the best flipping action I’ve ever experienced, but screws are on the soft side and the clip is just silly. I changed it to a sturdier version (got a bit carried away with those skulls, but an improvement nonetheless).

I was on the MD train last year and I bought a Buc, a Gent and a Laconico Keen. They’re all what I’d call “budget” or modestly priced knives and of decent but not exemplary quality. They’re all OK knives, but they’re just not in the same league as CRK, Begg, Hinderer, etc knives--which is expected since the MD knives cost less than half what those other brands cost. MD hasn’t reached me with anything they’ve floated so far this year and I’m starting to think that I’ve outgrown my MD phase.

Ha! My feelings exactly!
With the ones I’ve owned (admittedly I can’t speak for all of ‘em) they’ve been decent knives but there always seems to be obvious compromise(s) somewhere to hit a price point. An example would be the pocket clip on the Schwarz Perpetua. Yes, I know other makers do this also, but for some reason I just perceive it as more glaring with MD knives.

That said, lots of people seem to love their stuff and they almost got me with Ochs Lynx a few nights ago. I pulled back based on what I stated above. I really don’t want to go down that path again. So I guess I’ve outgrown my MD phase also.

Ha! My feelings exactly! ..... there always seems to be obvious compromise(s) somewhere to hit a price point. An example would be the pocket clip on the Schwarz Perpetua. Yes, I know other makers do this also, but for some reason I just perceive it as more glaring with MD knives.
Your comment about the Perpetua clip reminded me of one of the things that led to my description of MD quality -- the clip on the Gent. Damn! The only cheaper clip they could have put on that one would have been a clip made out of kitchen-grade aluminum foil.

I went through what seems to have been “my MD phase” starting when I was only 2 to 5 months into buying folders, so I was still very gun-shy of costly folders and my knowledge and tastes weren’t what they are now (14 months into it). Since then, I grew out of the cost-shyness, upped my game to the CRK/Shiro level and MD just doesn’t reach me any more. As the old saying goes--“If I’d known then what I know now”--I would’ve just skipped my MD phase and saved the $$ toward my first CRK. I think it’s one of those evolutions a lot of us go through---kind of like a young boy graduating from his trusty old BMX bike and moving into a 21-speed geared bike. My experience is that since I made that step into the higher quality folders, there appears to be no going back for me.

Your comment about the Perpetua clip reminded me of one of the things that led to my description of MD quality -- the clip on the Gent. Damn! The only cheaper clip they could have put on that one would have been a clip made out of kitchen-grade aluminum foil.

I went through what seems to have been “my MD phase” starting when I was only 2 to 5 months into buying folders, so I was still very gun-shy of costly folders and my knowledge and tastes weren’t what they are now (14 months into it). Since then, I grew out of the cost-shyness, upped my game to the CRK/Shiro level and MD just doesn’t reach me any more. As the old saying goes--“If I’d known then what I know now”--I would’ve just skipped my MD phase and saved the $$ toward my first CRK. I think it’s one of those evolutions a lot of us go through---kind of like a young boy graduating from his trusty old BMX bike and moving into a 21-speed geared bike. My experience is that since I made that step into the higher quality folders, there appears to be no going back for me.

Yeah, I've gone through the stages of knife addiction, too. I'm at the point where I think Shiro, CRK, Begg, and some others are actually worth the cost. From MD, I've had a Kizer, and one of the Gents. They both left fairly quickly. So by and large, I agree with your assessment, but the Kirby Lambert collaboration got my attention, and I placed my order.

And then I cancelled it.

I've really enjoyed the models I've bought from MD so far. My first was there first witch was the Farrum Forge Falcon. My second was the Farrum Forge Gent. My 3rd was the Garry Mcginnis Rowdy and my 4th was the Gavko Thresher witch IMHO was there best out of all the Colaberasion knives so far. PS I believe the Garry Mcginnis Rowdy wasn't actually a collaboration between MD and him but it was one I bought so I thought I'd throw it in there.:D

Last edited:
I lost my Gent a while ago so ordered another one on the 17th, got confirmation but never got a tracking#. I checked today, there's a tracking#, looked it up and the carrier say's there's no information regarding that #. Hmmmm.....they took my $$ but didn't send me a knife, a similar thing happened the order before that, wasn't a knife but took my order and over a week later sent me a note saying the product was unavailable and issued me a refund.

Drops dead to me. Only reason I ordered the Gent was because I really like the knife but I had already made the decision to not purchase anything else. I sent them a note saying I need a refund since they never processed my order.

Oh well, such is life right? Drop if you must but there are better ways to get 'things' IMO.

I have a bunch of Drop knives and, although I don't classify them as my higher caliber pieces, I have never even been tempted to return one for quality related issues. Their knives, that I decided to buy, have never disappointed me. Other aspects of Drop to rub me the wrong way, when their pieces arrive in the mail, they are exactly as expected. I have two dups right now that I will be posting for sale shortly, a Falcon and a Gent, both brand new (never used, never carried and never sharpened).

Back