Mastersmith Knives

I have a hunter from mastersmith Roger Massey. I it is a fantastic knife. My question is: Has anyone really put a MS knife to extreme use? I'm sure this knife is very tough, but how tough. This one is made with 52100 steel and sheep horn scales.

I'm consideing adding a larger knife of some kind to my collection. It would be for heavy use. If you have some reviews of MS knives, I'd like to here them. Thanks,

Jeff
http://pages.prodigy.net/jmp343/_wsn/page2.html

I have.I went camping this weekend and brought along my Steve Dunn M.S Bowie. It has a 9" by 1 3/4" clip point blade that was forged from 5/16" 52100 steel. The blade is flat ground with a distal taper and weighs about 17 oz. I brought this particular knife along because I consisder it a light duty knife and since I wasnt bush wacking I figured it would be all I would need. I was wrong. I had forgotten that I would need to split the pre chopped fire wood that was provided at the cabin I was staying at. Well I was a bit worried because this knife has a fine point and is quite thin at the bevel.. its bevel is slightly convex but it is almost a zero bevel. This knife however literally kicked the wood's ass.The wood chunks on average were about 15 " long and about 5" in diameter. I split about 30 pieces of this wood into the necessary sizes by placing the edge on the wood and slamming on the spine of the blade using another piece of wood. At first I was pretty calm about it but after I realized how tough the blade was I was hammering it with full force. On one piece of wood the blade got stuck and as I was slamming the wood on the ground to free the knife... the point hit the gravel covered earth with alot of force behind it, I thought I had lost the point (being it was so thin) yet it was just scratched a bit. After all the splitting the knife's edge was barely dulled. This knife is tough as nails, and has a very comfortable handle, it also looks great.I absolutely love this knife. It was expensive,but well worth the price IMHO.

I have. A few by Wally Hayes and one by Christoph Deringer. The title Mastersmith actually means something.
The makers know how to adjust the characteristics of their knives for toughness or other qualities depending on intended use. So not all knives are the same in terms of standing up to abuse.
But the hard use knives I have from Wally Hayes, for example, are incredible.

Thanks to all.

Cliff,

Your review of the Ray Kirk JS Bowie does it for me. I'm sure most
MS knives are of this same caliber. Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff, yes I would assume. One of the great things about custom vs production is that you can talk to the maker about the knife. Go over what you want it to do and how well you want it to do it. They will give you the final word on how their knives will suit your perspective. There are a lot of nice knives out there from ABS members here is another from Ray Kirk :

http://www.tah-usa.net/raker/img9.jpg

-Cliff

Back