Mater Kitchen Knife - Passaround !!!

hillst1 - I don't keep addresses....well...actually I do try to...but I usually misplace or lose them (which is why I have the Order Tracker - all in one place).

Can you send me your info again?

I ended up sand-blasting the lefty to try it out. I think that it's the nature of all knives that have flat surfaces to have stuff stick to it. It's not a big deal to me....but I figured it was worth a try.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan, check your PMs.

Mater Review-- Both knives were impressive. The right hand knife needs to be sharpened but still did a good job with food prep. The lefty Dan sent was much sharper and easier to work with. Food did not stick as bad as others have indicated. The bead blasted handles are just the right size and were very grippy. Dan, how about a 4 inch drop point with this size handle? Thanks for the opportunity to test these knives.

Last edited:
my pleasure....yes, I made sure the lefty was sharp. :D

4" drop point w/ kitchen knife handle....something to think about for sure....I'll do some doodling...:D :eek:

Dan

p.s. looking forward to a review!

I received the Maters and found that the right handed one was a little duller than the left. I made a couple of passes on a DMT Diamond ‘steel’ and the thing just jumped right back to sharp. I used them to chop an onion for a quick test before making a business trip. Both knives worked great.

When I returned from the trip the knives were called to task in chopping/slicing bell peppers and red onions for cheese steaks. The right hand knife was still just a little duller than the left. However they made short work of the veggies.

The geometry of the blades worked great. The only thing lacking for me was about 2 extra inches of blade. The blade was just long enough to slice the onion but I had to pick up the tip of the blade from the block and use a chopping rather than a slicing motion. But I was able to get paper thin slices without any extra effort. The left hand blade was used to slice the bell pepper into strips.

I also changed blades to see if the different finishes made a difference in the onion sticking to the blade. I found no difference between the knives. They were also no better or worse than any other knife in the kitchen for sticking.

Either of these would be right at home in anyone’s kitchen. The length would work for all but the biggest veggies. For me I would like a couple of inches extra blade length as an option.

Pics on the way to Dan.

:eek: Sorry guys. I had TONS of pics, on my regular computer, which were lost, :thumbdn: so I thought my post would be worthless without pics. I am just going to say that this knife is the best kitchen knife I have ever handled, as it can do lots of chopping and fine work, such as cutting tomatoes. It was very popular in the kitchen among lots, and I did not want to send it on its way. :D Again I am sorry and I wish I had those pics. :eek: :grumpy:

Here are the pics for pyrguy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty cool slicing!

:thumbup:

Dan

Attachments

• S7300258.JPG
    S7300258.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 113
  • S7300259.JPG
    S7300259.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 113
Where do we stand on these, guys?

I've kinda lost track of 'em...:foot:

:D

Dan

I have them right now. I have all of my pictures taken and will put my review up this week. I just need to know who to send them too.

It will be madborderman07. I'll get the address to you shortly.

Dan, sorry about that. I thought this had run it's course for some reason.:eek:

yeah...same here....:foot:

No worries, though, guys...I'm in no hurry...just wondering about it. :D

Dan

I hope these are in the midst of testing! Let's hear some more from madborderman07.

Jesse - drop me a line if you're out there, bro. :thumbup:

Dan

Back