Matriarchs?

Sal,

I recall you were saying that it might be possible for LEOs (who would not re-sell) to get a Matriarch after the limited release. Has this been reconsidered? A friend of mine lost his Merlin on a foot pursuit, and my Military prevented my wife from allowing me to get a BF Matriarch. (they were both purchased at SFO after my tour when I was there in Sept.) Rob setteled on the Merlin, even though he wanted a Civilain. We are small border town cops who don't get alot of bread, and we'd rather by quality than the crap that our Edged Weapons Defensive Tactics unit recommends.

pat

I have some Matriarchs in stock for sale to LEOs only. The price is $79.00 if you can provide proof that you are, indeed, in law enforcement.

Sorry, no sales to anyone who is not LEO or active military. This is Spyderco's policy and I have agreed to abide by it. I must have proof of your status before I will ship.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
1-800-400-1980
("Have a knife day!")
wrightknife@ixpres.com

I can see the headlines now:

Teacher stabbed by student.

On August 4 as she was walking out to her car teacher Jane Doe was attacked by a disgruntled learner. The attacker weilded a wickedly curved kni...

Later,
John

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

Are the Matriarchs the exact same design as the Civilians (handle material, blade, clip, etc.)? I tried looking for a picture of them at Spyderco.com and had no luck. Does anyone have a picture?

I will let Rob know, and when it gets closer to my birthday in May I will probably be interested. You will have all the proof you need (letterhead, copy of credentials, Agency info so you can look up the phone# yourself and call to verify,ect).

pat

Hi MF,

Nope, It has a downsized version of the Civilians blade, but the handle is off an Endura. Available in Grey and Black.

Later,
John

P.S. Sorry for not supplying a pic, perhaps I should just purchase a new scanner mine has been broken for months.
frown.gif

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

Microfanatic, Use search - there has been pics of matriarchs in this forum.
If you can't find any, send me your email address and I'll send you a couple pics. These pics were scanned by most esteemed scanner guru J.Mattis.

Sorry, no sales to anyone who is not LEO or active military.
In some places they're sold to anyone. Interestingly the places seems to be either those where it's rather likely to be needed for its intended purpose and those where it's very unlikely. Not the in-between places like USA.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
Latest udates WM1 neck sheath, Moki Blossom and Fällkniven S1

I hear the South Park movie is R-17 in the USA. Due to the language used. Here it's got a 7 year old limit, and wouldn't have even that if it wasn't for the violence.

For all of you, who are not LEO or military, that would like to have one of these knives I'm sorry but Spyderco is very emphatic about their policy.

I didn't say that I agreed with the policy, I said that I agreed to the conditions. There is a difference.

The maker has a right to establish the conditions under which his products will be sold and I respect that right. I don't even carry one myself in defference to Sal's wishes.

He has his reasons, whatever they are, and it is incumbent on me, as one of his dealers, to honor the conditions of the agreement. There was nothing signed or notarized, just spoken words but, in my world, that has the same weight.

If and when the policy changes (and I wouldn't expect that anytime soon) I will modify my practice. Untill then, sorry guys, I just can't do it. Please don't E-mail or call, asking for an exception "just between you & me".

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
1-800-400-1980
("Have a knife day!")
wrightknife@ixpres.com

So the Matriarch is LEO only but the Civilian isnt? That seems odd....

------------------
-thePrince

I agree, VERY ODD! Why bother with a Matriarch when you could have a much better Civilian. Makes no sense.

Well, for one thing, the Matriarch has a reversible clip... If you're a southpaw, like myself, or only want the choice to have it accessible to your weak hand (as a back-up to another weapon), then it becomes important, IMHO.

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Not true at all! The civilian has a hole open and a backlock, so it is totally ambidextrous and some careful drilling gives any g10 gripped knife a reversible clip. The civilian has a better defense design as well, making it a better choice for combat. And I still dont see why a reversible clip would justify an LEO only policy.

------------------
-thePrince

What I want to know is...are most of the folks here carping about a company policy, or is there a sudden awakening of interest AFTER Sal offered a special Matriarch deal to us BF folks??? The initial response to the grey handled model left some knives at the factory without takers, I hear. I can understand that some were not aware of the BF Matriarch offer (latecomers or hermits), but I suspect that some only decided the Matriarch was truly desireable once the availablity dropped-off.
For the later group, ya snooze, ya lose.
Brian

------------------
Life Member NRA & PMA, member AKTI, NKCA, ATA, and any other worthy cause I can find.

What's "not true at all"? The Civilian is NOT ambidextrous as it comes from the factory, since the clip is NOT reversible. I stated clearly that I'd rather have Spyderco drill and tap it for me, and I can't see what's wrong with that.

Also, I never said anything about a reversible clip "justifying an LEO only policy" (with which I personally disagree, BTW). MicroFanatic asked "Why bother with a Matriarch when you could have a much better Civilian", and I mentioned the ambidexterity issue.

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Brian,

I did order one of the last Matriarchs available to BFC members, last year. There were some problems with the delivery, so I'm still waiting (anxiously...).

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------

I'm just guessing, but the Matriarch, at it's price, would be more prone to purchase by riffraff, more so than the somewhat pricey Civilian.

Recall that the Civilians were never pictured in Spydercos catalogs nor on their web site. It is easy to figure out that they were geared towards a specialized group of users but Spydercos philosophy were never geared towards the "tactical" market. When the AL Civilian was discontinued, the Matriarch soon made its appearance in South Africa but not in the US. I believe Spyderco kept that "tactical" market philosophy in mind and only offered them to BF members in limited quantity. But who' s to say who is in the "riffraff" category? I also disagree that the Matriarchs be made available only to those with LEO status but I couldn' t argue with each individuals business policies. Did I answer any questions here?

L8r,
Nakano

PS- the G10 Civilians are still available though...

Leo,

If i can confirm through the company that your BF Matriarch will not/didn't get to you, I may be convinced to sell one of my 3 gray-handled beauties to you. I want to do what I can to assure every BF member has one of these if they wanted one "back then".
email me.
Brian

Back