MauiRob Malla performance?

Hello everyone, longtime lurker first time poster. MauiRob I noticed that you have a malla and I was just wondering how well it chops wood. Would a five inch tree be a real problem? How would you compare it to an eighteen inch WWII, is it even close? Anyone else with a malla feel free to answer.Thanks in advance.Patrick

Patrick:

Both Mallas that I've held moved very well. These are weapons IMO, not choppers. I was going to put my new Malla to the test this past weekend, but was rained out. I'm hoping to do some Malla-slinging this weekend. If you're still interested, I can post my findings.

S.

Thanks Spence, I'm always interested in Malla slinging! Please let me and anyone else interested know what happens. Patrick

I have a Malla on it's way and will give you a review as soon as possible. If you search under Mauirob's name you will find a recent post where he discusses his impressions of the Malla.

Pat Mc

Welcome to the Cantina Patrick:)

I did some chopping/testing on my Malla a week or two back. Here's a link to the results of that http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199186&highlight=malla

I would say that the malla will do well as a chopper if it needs to, and you could definitely chop a 5" tree with some work (depending on the type of tree and whether its green or dry)but if what you want is a khukuri that will really chop (and is designed to do just that) I'd go for an 18"AK or WWII (or other lengths in these styles). I also have a 20" sirupati that is a really good chopper. Uncle Bills advice to get an AK for the first Khukuri is good advice IMHO. But you couldn't go wrong with the WWII either.

Hope this helps!:)

In theory the AK type blade will be a better design for chopping because the knife is more blade heavy than the malla shape. Between an 18" WW2 and an 18" malla the WW2 will be a better chopper. However for poking holes in things the malla would be a better choice. :)

Rain is the best weather to test khuks. You'll know what it handles like when the grip is wet and slippery.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
Rain is the best weather to test khuks. You'll know what it handles like when the grip is wet and slippery.

Bruise, slippery and khukuri are two great tastes that don't taste great together in my book.

S.

Thanks for the link MauiRob.I just wish I could handle some of these Khuks before I buy, you know four or five different models,chop,chop,chop;). Patrick

Originally posted by Spinnerblade
Thanks for the link MauiRob.I just wish I could handle some of these Khuks before I buy, you know four or five different models,chop,chop,chop;). Patrick

Welcome to the Cantina Spinnerblade.:)

Spinner it really doesn't matter which one you get first as trying it out will guide you into making a 2nd choice that will probably be more of what you want, which will lead you into your 3rd khukuri which will then lead into....
Too me, in the end, the right khukuri is all about weight and if you have three or more it will be dayumed hard for you to pick a favorite, at least it is for me.
I have to seperate my favorites according to weight.;)

Spin, you're a neighbor. Why not drop by the Cantina and pick one for yourself? Or if you're closer to Hawthorn Rusty has a couple of khukuris he could show you.

I was actually thinking about doing just that, I'll have some time off in a couple of weeks.Thanks for the invite.:) Patrick

Back