Maxamet chip help

IMG_2326_zps2vspmumy.png
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2327_zpsohvmobnu.png
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2328_zpspgp5ylnh.png
[/URL][/IMG] So I have a maxamet native and I love it, but someone I got a chip on the tip, and the worst part is I don't even know how it happened because I haven't been using it so hard. & the chip isn't huge but the tip is now gone & I know I'm not the only anal knife guy this would annoy. So now I wanna see what y'all, the experts recommend that I do to try and bring the tip back or how y'all recommend I get in contact with. Thank y'all so much. Anyone else have any bad chipping yet? While this steal is super badass, I think m4 is still my favorite since it can take a serious beating.

Last edited:
they will replace it with a good one.

You seem pretty confident. I wouldn't bet on that. They will regrind a tip although there may be a fee. Refer to Spyderco's warranty page.

The pics are not working.

You can sharpen the chip out yourself or you can send it in for resharpening. If chipping continues there may be an issue but one chip does not mean that there is.

Keep i mind that this is a very high carbide steel, almost bridging the gap between high carbide steels and tungsten carbide. We should be expecting toughness somewhere between the two as well.

I say sharpen it and see if it happens again.

So I contacted spyderco and they said they could sharpen the chip out for me. I only have a sharpmaker so I doubt I could do it myself. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to work & thank y'all for your help. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: Mo2
I don't think I would trust anyone to properly use my Maxamet knife. I love the steel, and use it a lot, but I really do love K390 and M4. All three are great, but K390 and M4 are great for all tasks. Would really like to see a K390 PM2 or Manix 2(not LW).

I don't think I would trust anyone to properly use my Maxamet knife. I love the steel, and use it a lot, but I really do love K390 and M4. All three are great, but K390 and M4 are great for all tasks. Would really like to see a K390 PM2 or Manix 2(not LW).

That's actually the exact reason I've been staying away from Maxamet so far. Sounds great on paper, but for the tasks I use my knives for I'd be worried about chipping the crap out of it.

I like something with a little bit of everything, instead of a whole lot of one thing. Wear resistance is great until something like this happens. Of course there are exceptions(crazy tough fixed blades, ect.). For EDC folders I like knowing I can use it without too much hesitation. No experience with K390, but M390 is a charm for such knives.

I know what you mean. When I have my Maxamet, I always carry a tougher steel with me. K390 is great, it has the wear resistance of 10V, yet tougher than D2. My favorite small knife steel is by far M390/20CV/204P. It is just the best all around small knife steel! IMHO It is a charm for sure!!

IMG_2326_zps2vspmumy.png
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2327_zpsohvmobnu.png
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2328_zpspgp5ylnh.png
[/URL][/IMG] So I have a maxamet native and I love it, but someone I got a chip on the tip, and the worst part is I don't even know how it happened because I haven't been using it so hard. & the chip isn't huge but the tip is now gone & I know I'm not the only anal knife guy this would annoy. So now I wanna see what y'all, the experts recommend that I do to try and bring the tip back or how y'all recommend I get in contact with. Thank y'all so much. Anyone else have any bad chipping yet? While this steal is super badass, I think m4 is still my favorite since it can take a serious beating.
If for some reason you don't get the response you want out of Spyderco's warranty department or you simply don't want to go that route I'd be happy to take care of it for you. Just cover shipping.

If for some reason you don't get the response you want out of Spyderco's warranty department or you simply don't want to go that route I'd be happy to take care of it for you. Just cover shipping.
Wow, i really appreciate this. Thank you so much. This community really is a community huh, so many great people. Well I sent it in and if I ain't happy I will deff let you know. Thank you very much. A real horse among mules.

Any update on this from the op. He stated that it was sent back in June so I was wondering if he got it back yet.

Back