Mechaxe: titanium alloy axe

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is an axe prototype/tester, cut and forged from titanium alloy plate. The cutting edge is heat-treated. The handle is elliptical, and tapers from thin to thick as it approaches the axe head. The entire circumference is filed into a bevel (except under the handle).

OAL is 30.5" with an 8" cutting edge, and a weight of 2 lbs 3 oz, balanced right at the top of the handle. The handle is rubber, nylon, and leather.

This axe worked great, so I will make a finalized version. Probably a little bit thicker and longer.

Before testing:

jCPAvvQ.jpg

pljv6Ep.jpg

oFbf3yY.jpg

uAGRv9u.jpg

0t6POVe.jpg

During testing:

After testing:

30mcLFD.jpg

exdi1qA.jpg

Ux4kXlp.jpg

Worked great, stayed sharp!

Finally, a SCUBA diving axe! Ha. That's really cool, I know next to nothing about titanium and your work with it. How are you able to make a quality axe from it?

Finally, a SCUBA diving axe! Ha. That's really cool, I know next to nothing about titanium and your work with it. How are you able to make a quality axe from it?

HAHA! For viking scuba divers! :D

Shape the titanium through forging and grinding, then heat treat the cutting edge for more hardness and durability. In use, it's more like steel than you'd think, somewhat lighter and with a different sort of rigid springiness.

This one is sort of an axe-shaped machete, and I'd like to make the finalized version just a but thicker to help with splitting, but still keep it thin for cutting. A convex cutting edge helps keep the axe from sticking in wood too badly even though it's thin.

Here is an axe prototype/tester, cut and forged from titanium alloy plate. The cutting edge is heat-treated. The handle is elliptical, and tapers from thin to thick as it approaches the axe head. The entire circumference is filed into a bevel (except under the handle).

OAL is 30.5" with an 8" cutting edge, and a weight of 2 lbs 3 oz, balanced right at the top of the handle. The handle is rubber, nylon, and leather.

This axe worked great, so I will make a finalized version. Probably a little bit thicker and longer.

Before testing:

jCPAvvQ.jpg

pljv6Ep.jpg

oFbf3yY.jpg

uAGRv9u.jpg

0t6POVe.jpg

During testing:

After testing:

30mcLFD.jpg

exdi1qA.jpg

Ux4kXlp.jpg

Worked great, stayed sharp!

When Spaceforce USA officially become the Terran Space Marines I know they are going to be hitting you up forntheir blades like crazy!

I never saw this beast.. wtf.. want. Sam you ok man? I'm just trying to get up to speed here.. I'll message you later once I read through some garbage..

I never saw this beast.. wtf.. want. Sam you ok man? I'm just trying to get up to speed here.. I'll message you later once I read through some garbage..

Beast came and went. It is the basic pattern for the upcoming axes though.

Wonder were it landed o_O

To be honest titanium is light but it is not strong. I wouldn't trust a tool that needed to keep an edge or strike to be made out of it.

To be honest titanium is light but it is not strong. I wouldn't trust a tool that needed to keep an edge or strike to be made out of it.

What makes you think that? Titanium alloys are very strong and resistant to cracking or breaking, and the heat-treated axe blade keeps a nice edge.

Back