"Mediocre" Victorinox Warranty Service

Recently I posted on another forum concerning my Vic Swiss Champ whose main blade is angled in it’s channel causing the tip of the blade to butt up against, and be abraded by the base of the file. Not a big deal I suppose, but I was somewhat concerned by the thought that if I’m not careful when closing the blade that it could hit the file, resulting in a chipped blade. So to make a long story short, I sent it back to Victorinox, with a letter detailing the problem, and my concerns. The results are as follows:

Pros:

1. Victorinox replaced the pen, tweezers, toothpick, mini screwdriver, and straight pin, all of which I had taken out of the knife before sending it in.

2. I had the knife back in exactly two weeks time.

Cons:

Problem not fixed. When closed the main blade is in exactly the same position as when I sent it in.

No response from Victorinox explaining what if anything they thought of the issue, and/or their specific response to the issue.

3. Upon closer examination, it appears that the main blade has been replaced. The blade tang stamp is now the older type, which reads “Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei, on one side. On the reverse the tang reads, Officier Suisse, with what looks like an umbrella (bow), and a cross to the left of this symbol. The blade is not scuffed, and appears to be new. Initially I thought that maybe they had mistakenly sent me the wrong knife, but the fact that the blade was canted in the exact same way, combined with the current blade being without blemish, leads me to believe that they replaced the blade. Unfortunately they did so without regard to what I saw as the real problem (blade hitting file).

Also to confuse me further, the scales on this knife while not new, do not appear to be in the same condition as mine originally were. Specifically, my knife had some deeper gouges from keys and such, that are no longer there (I keep looking, but I can't find them & they were pretty obvious to the eye). At the same time, the scales on my knife do have a number of scuffs, so they are not new replacements. They just aren't as beat up as mine were. The rest of the knife appears to be the same (dirt and all).

Summary, I do appreciate that Victorinox replaced the accessories, but I would have liked some note detailing what they did to the knife. Also, although I’m not particularly pleased with a blade replacement that does nothing to address the problem of the blade hitting the file, I'm not totally displeased. I plan to keep it as is. It just isn't enough of an issue to bother sending it back again. That said, this was a bit of a test for me to see how Victorinox would handle the warranty, and quite frankly, I'm not impressed. Fortunately Victorinox seems to make a nice enough product that I shouldn’t have to worry too much about their mediocre warranty service, because of the 10 or so Victorinox knives that I currently own, only this one has displayed an issue.

Do what this what you will. I just wanted to share my experience with those of you who may one day need to send in a knife.

Some people praise the warrenty service. Some people have had an experience like you did. I have no idea why. I plan on chucking mine in the trash if something goes wrong rather than sending it in. I think as long as you are careful in closing it .. you will be ok.

wow I'm very surprised and sorry to hear it. thanks for sharing your experience. let us know if they ever respond to you.

I appreciate the comments.

I guess they put a band-aid on the knife (by replacing the blade), and were kind enough to replace the accessories. I would have preferred that they address the issue causing the blade to be overly off center within the channel, but at this point I'll leave it as it is. I agree that as long as I'm careful in closing the knife, there should be no signifcant damage.

These knives are well enough made that warranty service doesn't seem to be of much need anyway.

Very odd. I have had nothing but stellar service from Victorinox on the occasions that required it. I heard somewhere that Vic has some of the highest QC of any production company. I'd call them up and find out. What's the harm, if it would put your mind at rest? Maybe someone screwed up somewhere . . .:confused:

What makes you think any part of the knife you received was part of the knife you sent in? It's unlikely they would put used scales on the knife if they removed them to replace the blade, as they usually have to be glued back on. Surely they wouldn't spend more than a few minutes of a worker's time to repair a knife - it wouldn't be cost effective vs. the cost of pulling a new one off the line.
I had an older Wenger with the locking screwdriver blade. The blade locking extension broke off and it wouldn't lock (really a minor issue). It was a discontinued model. Wenger sent me a brand new Tool Chest Plus as a replacement.

From your description, it seems they simply replaced your SAK with a refurbished one probably taken in earlier under warranty. That would explain the used but not identical scales of the one you sent in, and the replaced accessory parts. Your original problem was not solved because they didn't even look at it.

I would have no problem believing that the returned knife was a refurb if it weren't for the following.

1. My large screwdriver had a very defined mark/line going across it from my removing the large buttstock screws on my two Russian Capture K98'. The returned knife has the same mark.

2. My scissors had a nick that you could feel when using them, and you could also see the mark on the blade very clearly. This knife has the identical mark, and feel. I just can't believe that another knife happened to have the exact same issues, especially since I'm (hate to admit it) a bit neurotic about observing such things, and I had spent an "inordinate" amount of time noticing it (also explains why I bothered to send the knife in for a small iblade issue:eek:).

3. The large knife blade is positioned exactly the way in the channel as the one I sent in (the reason I sent it in).

4. The scales on the returned knife have many scuffs, just not the deeper gouges that I remember doing to the original. I'm wondering if it's possible that they polished these up a little, but I would expect to see some remnant of the couple of gouges (which I don't). This is the only issue that caused me to doubt myself, and the only one that I'm still confused about at this point.

I like the idea of calling them just to see what they have to say. I want to stress that I'm not trying to complain, I'm just sharing my experience, and my observations of the returned knife.

All of that said, I'm was really happy to have the Swiss Champ back in my pocket today, and I even used the metric side of seemingly useless fish scaler today to measure something at work. I also like the older tang stamp. All of my previous purchases have the newer stamp.

Last edited:
All of that said, I'm was really happy to have the Swiss Champ back in my pocket today, and I even used the metric side of seemingly useless fish scaler today to measure something at work.

Actually, I have used the fish scaler quite a bit, but only once ever for scaling fish (never again!:barf:). In addition to the ruler, the implement is a good probe to pick up things I can't or don't want to touch with my fingers, dig stuff out of hard to get at places, scrape mung out of boot lugs, and as a pickle fork (after cleaning it thoroughly, of course :D ). Sometimes I can spring a lock with it. But I will agree; for scaling fish, it's useless.

Sounds like the scaler is only limited only by my imagination. After reading your post, I'm kinda happy it's on there now.:)

I plan on chucking mine in the trash if something goes wrong rather than sending it in.
Man don't throw it away!
There are lots of SAK modders here who would love to have a free SAK to cannibalize for parts!
:D

Sorry for the almost 4 year bump, but I've been looking for this issue with the SwissChamp online for quite some time. I actually have the same issue with mine. The large blade hits the liner very veeeeeeeeeery close to the tang of the nail file (metal file) that sometimes, when the nail file is open and i hold the SwissChamp in a way that pushes the large blade into the area of the nail file, the nail file's closing tang area can hit the tip of my large blade.

For quite some time, I was wondering if this was just a problem with my knife. I mean, I'm really fine with it because I love this knife and it's been with me through a lot of projects and several scale changes, but as a sort of meticulous person when it comes to my SAK's, it sometimes bothers me. Now, after finding evidence that there is at least one more person out there that had this issue, I realize that it may be a matter of the construction of this model of knife that aligns the blade that way.

Sorry for the major necro bump, but I'd just like to ask if there are other people out there that have issues like this with their SwissChamp or their other SAK's. (Mind you, not the issue with the warranty service.)

Thank you!

Back