meduim 3" voyagers discontinued?

I didn't see them listed in the catalog. Seems like one of the more useful sizes, I can't imagine why they would stop producing them.

Heard it was mentioned somewhere in the forums that they are discontinued. I wonder why as well, since it's one of the most useful EDC size...

I can only imagine they were discontinued due to low sales or it was let go to make room for some other model, which still probably boils down to sales.

Sales, I would imagine. I'm carrying a clip point model at the moment, and I own every plain edge model, and the serrated Vaquero. The half serrated models don't do anything for me. They're a most inoffensive size while still being a decent cutting knife. I might have to buy another clip point before they're all gone, although if they haven't been selling well they may hang around for a while anyway.

I'd say their weakness is that the handle shape is slightly awkward for larger hands (like mine) as it's just scaled down from the larger models. I think the optimum for my hand size is the 4" version but that is less non-knife-people friendly. Someone commented that on the previous version Voyager the smaller models were the most comfortable, while on the newer model it's the larger models that are the most comfortable.

I'd say their weakness is that the handle shape is slightly awkward for larger hands (like mine) as it's just scaled down from the larger models. I think the optimum for my hand size is the 4" version but that is less non-knife-people friendly..

I stopped worrying about that long ago. No...Wait...I never worried about it ...EVER. ;')

Should be able to find them for a while longer.

Prices are under $40, from what I have seen.

^^ This is true. I just bought a handful of the AUS-8 Voyagers (a few of each size). At $30-39 each, I couldn't pass 'em up.

Seems like Cold Steel is trying to self-destruct.

I'm assuming if they were selling a lot of these, they wouldn't be discontinuing them. Since they are discontinuing them, it stands to reason these were not popular models and didn't sell well. So, the question I'm getting at is, how does discontinuing an unpopular/low selling design lead to self destruction?

Maybe produce something with overall length of between 7.5-8.5 inch range of "Medium" Voyager, that would be perfect. This should compete well with the Endura, Tenacious, Griptilian, Kershaw-Emerson CQC and other affordable series from competitors.

I know it wouldn't make sense in the Cold Steel line up but I would love to see a 3.5" blade Voyager or Recon 1

Having a hard time imagining any advantage a 3 1/2" Recon 1 would have over the 4" that I carry regularly. Just curious.

Yes, that makes sense to me too.

the 3.5-inch blade range is what the Code 4 line is for.

Yes, that makes sense to me too.

the 3.5-inch blade range is what the Code 4 line is for.

There ya' go.:) Anyhow, maybe my needs and/or techniques are not precise enough for me to discern the 1/2" difference. shrug. I once had a girlfriend who could detect it in an instant. lol

Back