Meet Dr. Duvon Winborne, President of the ABA. Pix.

Here is Dr. Duvon Winborne, 12 year HI customer, pal and nephew and current President of the American Bando Association.

He is a master and sensei of khukuris and specialized in the Cobra system. Here he is shown with two HI khukuris. He almost always buys in pairs as closely matched as possible.

Attachments

• duvon with 2 khukuris.jpg
    duvon with 2 khukuris.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 422
And here's a stylized pix of Duvon with a couple of HI katanas.

The yellow strip is not part of the stylization -- it's something my scanner has decided everything I scan now needs.

Attachments

• duvon with 2 katanas.jpg
    duvon with 2 katanas.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 358
Notice how Duvon grips the khukuris and also their relative position in right and left hands. I think he knows something I don't.

Uncle Bill,

Could you provide the contact number and address for the American Bando Association? I would love to know more about them and the relation with Khuks.
Thanks

Uncle Bill,
Could you or someone else explain a bit more on the grips? They seem more forward than what I would expect but then again I'm not into MA either. More control perhaps?

Duvon knows something I don't. He's probably holding the khukuris right for what he wants to do with them but it's not the way I hold them.

ABA contact is Gary Layton, good guy and very helpful.

email him at

PantherABA@aol.com

Learn something new every day! I would expect he knows what he's doing! Don't have time to devote to using the khuk as a weapon. I just like to mess around and do those little chores which these knives are so good at. Also did anybody else notice the article in the last issue of Blade magazine about knives of the world? Short but good. A picture of the Dr. would have been a nice addition!:D

Since the Bando folks have taken a low profile regarding posting on the net I emailed Duvon and asked him permission before I posted these pix and he said he was too old to get sued so go right ahead.

He got four katanas recently, one for himself and three for students. He kept the carved horn handled one!!!!!

Is Bando one the MA forms where they use similar movements whether armed with fighting sticks, knives or barehanded? Could partly explain the grip. Considering who the photo's of it must be the best grip for whatever he has in mind though. :)

The forward grip probably gives you more neutral balance in the hand, which should make things a little quicker.

But then again, I know more about wiping my *** than bando, or martial arts in general - maybe I should be a consultant :D

Which Khuk is recommended by the Bando guys? Is it the WW2? What length? I don't know of any Bando places in Saudi :(

Originally posted by Tohatchi NM
I know more about wiping my *** than bando, or martial arts in general - maybe I should be a consultant :D

How many squares do you use? Fold or crumple? ;)

Duvon prefers the WWII model.

He may come visit the Cantina. If he does we can pick his brain.

He was scheduled to visit last Oct. but busy schedule delayed the trip.

He is also one of the very good guys.

I emailed Gary to ask if there were any Bando schools in my area and he emailed me back immediately, and told me he had forwarded my email to another guy in the Bando org. that handles these inquiries, who then emailed me a few minutes later:). Nice guys:)

Unfortunately no Bando near me but some in nearby states. I'd love to go watch a seminar when they use khuks!

Back