Mega Chopper Throwdown from Khuks to Parangs to Machetes to Tomahawks

I recently had one of my trees split in half in a storm and had quite a few limbs and shrubs to clean up so I decided this was my chance to compare and get some practical experience with all of the choppers that I have. This is going to have to be done in stages and might be picture intensive so I decided to go ahead and start a post and update as I go. I'm going to test chopping and basic bushcraft cutting. There is everything from small stuff, to limbing, to log sized pieces. Below are the contenders in this match up. I didn't really realize how many I had and there are more. I've had most of the HI's back from when Uncle Bill was still alive and active on the forum.

DSC07943.jpg

Left to Right:W49 Bowie, 18" HI Chitlange, 12" HI AK, 15" light Chirawa HI AK, 18" HI WWII, Condor Golok, 15" HI Sirupati, 10" blade Parang, 12" blade Parang, 12" Tramotina machete, Tora Tamang, Tora 2/10. Front: camp tomahawk I put together for my son with Craig Barr head, CS Frontier Hawk.

Now some pictures of the challenge.

DSC07951.jpg

photo-49.jpg

This was one practical test that I tried after some chopping. This is my 12" HI AK that I've had for years. I worked on a convex edge and you can't really see but some of the slices that I tried are paper thin. It is amazing how this thing chops though. Better than most that are a lot bigger.

photo-54.jpg

Some preliminary thoughts though. All the jobs can be done by all the blades used with practice, learning the technique with different types of blades seems to be key, modifying edges like putting a convex edge can make a good blade much better for overall use. At the start none of the edges have really been modified with the exception of the 12" AK. I'm going to try and provide updates on what my experiences are but this will just be my opinions or experiences not necessarily promoting or putting down any particular blade. I think if I was in a prolonged survival situation any of these would be appreciated and that I would get to be pretty good in doing all the tasks needed or required much like watching an Indian in the Amazon filleting a fish with an 18" Machete. I get a lot of good tips and advice from the forums. I hope that I can do the same for some others.

This is something that I was playing around with in between chopping stuff up. Supposed to end up as a spoon.

photo-52.jpg

Nice collection, thanks for posting.
Which Khukri would you recommend for overall camping chores?
The 12" HI AK looks good to me - compact and fairly efficient.

Nice collection, thanks for posting.
Which Khukri would you recommend for overall camping chores?
The 12" HI AK looks good to me - compact and fairly efficient.

For me for just light local camping and hiking it's going to be the 12" AK. I've always liked my Khuks but thought they weren't very good for general cutting like making feather sticks. I always attributed it to the angle. During this testing though I put a convex edge on it and found that was the real issue. It actually slices better that any of my knives now...Mora's or Helle's not included. Making the cho into a choil really lets you choke up on it too. If I was going for a little more isolated or extended trip I would do with the 15" AK with same mods. I will say that I really like these two new parangs. The 10" in particular seems to be a really compact user and I think for most the curve of the blade makes it a better slicer and easier to use for most from the start. That paired with a Mora makes a perfect pair. It's like I mentioned at the first. It seems to be all in the technique. When I was using the Parang there was some times that it bit really deep. For me it seemed to be kind of a whipping action and with practice it would be awesome. I do hate the plastice handles. They feel like your holding a candle especially in this 100 deg heat we're having. I'm going to eventually replace it but I think this little 10" with the red handle would make the ultimate canoeing blade. I actually got this for my 9 yr old son and he really is able to use this style better than the Khuk. Seems likes with people that I know either you have the feel for a Khuk or you don't.

How did the Condor Golok perform? I've been thinking about getting one soon & would like your opinion.

Thanks

Back