Mega Ratweiler 1000 chop test!!!! Part 1,2 and 3

I recently did a review on the Busse forum so decided to post this one here. Video is very long as I did not want to speed it up.

I like to run this test, it gives me a lot of feedback regarding my edge angle and if it's optimal.

This blade is at 15.5dps with a slight microbevel hardly visible. Two things stand out to me about this steel, edge stability and ease of sharpening. In the previous test I hit the pavement and damaged a section towards the tip, the damage did not exceed above the micro bevel and took me less then 5 min of work to repair. Also something I did not notice was any hot spots after 1000 chops. The handle in the beginning felt a little foreign/awkward but when you actually use the knife you realize what it's designed for(chopping).

I like the thick spine with the deep hollow grind, even though it's really thick stock it still comes very thin behind the edge(will measure mine at a later stage). The forward weight on this beast is insane, this video does not do the chopping power justice.

All in all if you are looking for a big chopper I thing you will be happy with the design and steel choice.

Was it a Becker or ESEE that someone used a Bussekin knife to baton serrations into?
I watched a video of an Esee chopping through a Becker... Truly a stupid test. Testing the geometry of a BK9 against the Hybrid grind is what Id be interested in.

any experience with a Becker BK9? wonder how it does in comparison?
I did testing on 2 x BK2's and 2 x Esee 5's
Testing was done at 15dps on both.

In my tests Esee was the most disappointing. Edge holding on non abrasives at that edge angle was low(micro damage). On African hard wood like camelthorn the edge readily chipped. The lowest I could run the edge angle without issues was at 18dps.

Beckers 1095cv did better, remember I tested 2 of each, at 15dps the bk2 showed much better edge stability and toughness.

On Swamprat after the 1000 chop test it still sliced news paper print cleanly without sharpening. The BK2 I could not after 800 strikes. I had to use a ceramic rod the bring the apex back because stropping did not work. At higher edge angles in normal use you will struggle to see a difference between Becker and Swamprat. Its at lower edge angles where you start seeing a difference.

PART 3

Another 1000 chops without sharpening the the blade. Total of 2000 chops and splitting wood in Part 2. At the end of Part 3 I chopped through African Camelthorn Hard wood. I use this wood to test edge stability on smaller knives which is absolutely horrible for any knife. The Ratweiler had no issues chopping right through in 15 blows. I cleaned the edge afterwards and the Apex was smooth and still biting my skin and went through newspaper print like butter.

Overall at 15.5 dps the edge showed great edge stability keeping a razor polished edge right throughout the test. The steel is definitely very tough, as I said before I originally warped about 3 inches of the blade the first time I started my testing, this was due to the obtuse angles preventing the apex from penetrating the wood. The warp was huge, I fixed it by hammering the edge straight, reduced the edge angle issue gone.

The steel is so easy to sharpen, so when you hit a rock(which i did) its very easy to fix. A few weeks ago I hit the pavement towards the tip and it took me less then 5 min to repair.

This knife is a monster with so much power for chopping, the handle compliments this with no hot spots as previously stated. The handle is well rounded.

This completes my testing, I hope this gave some valuable feedback.

Back