MegaPro 4mm double-sided bits for Cybertool bit driver

Hey Hi!

I was reading a Wirecutter article about precision screwdrivers and noticed their top pick (MegaPro) used double-sided 4mm bits. They store inside the handle of the screwdriver, but you can also buy them separately (links below). I know some users of the Cybertool bit driver use singe-sided 4mm bits to expand their bit range because there really aren’t any companies currently making double-sided 4mm bits. Since the single-sided bits don’t have a ball detent, many people stick (glue/putty/tape) a small disc magnet in the bottom of the bit driver to keep the bit secured. From the videos I see on this, it works very well. Single-sided bits have a large flat surface area to strongly attach to the magnet. The MegaPro double-sided bits also don’t have a ball detent, so they would have to be secured magnetically. However, since they have a much smaller surface area contacting the magnet, I’m wondering if they would still be held securely.

If anyone uses the “magnet trick” and have used these MegaPro double-sided bits, please let me know if they work well and if they’re a good alternative.

MegaPro 24-in-1 Precision Driver
(https://shop.megaprotools.com/products/24-in-1-precision-screwdriver)

MegaPro REPLACEMENT BIT PACK - THE PRECISION | 12 DOUBLE-ENDED BITS
(https://shop.megaprotools.com/products/replacement-bit-pack-the-precision-12-double-ended-bits)

It's not very secure but mostly works, depending on how strong the magnet is. If you want to test it yourself then put a magnet in without gluing it and then put in a regular one sided bit upside-down.

Another thing you can do is put a little piece of tape on the side of the bit, but it has be just the right thickness to not get forced off when you slide the bit in and out of the bit driver or the plastic bit holder. I did this with an adapter to let me use quarter inch bits with my cybertool, and it worked okay. I think it was regular masking tape from the dollar store.

It's not very secure but mostly works, depending on how strong the magnet is. If you want to test it yourself then put a magnet in without gluing it and then put in a regular one sided bit upside-down.

Another thing you can do is put a little piece of tape on the side of the bit, but it has be just the right thickness to not get forced off when you slide the bit in and out of the bit driver or the plastic bit holder. I did this with an adapter to let me use quarter inch bits with my cybertool, and it worked okay. I think it was regular masking tape from the dollar store.
Omg! I feel like such an idiot for not thinking to test it by turning and single sided bit upside down 🤣! I can’t test it right now because I’m actually waiting on a custom SAK w/ a bit driver to get delivered. It will be my first with a bit driver. But even if I had it in hand though, I don’t think turning a single-sided bit upside down would have come to mind 🤦. I’m gonna put a magnet in the bottom, but I’ll definitely also test out the tape idea. Thanks!!!

I wouldn't really recommend doing the tape thing unless it is only with one or two bits, because it would be a hassle to tape all of your bits. I only did it on one bit because it was an adapter which lets me use quarter inch bits with a 4mm bit driver. I wouldn't do it on every single 4mm bit that I wanted to use.

Back