Memorial Day weekend

David Martin

This weekend we honor those who sacrificed all for the cause of freedom. So, we may enjoy the fruits of their efforts. I honor all of you with loved ones who paid this price for me and my family to know the freedoms we have today. This is for you. Then, I'll get to the meal time. DM
ColonelsFuneral.JPG

Last edited:
For This weekend I have thawed out a point cut brisket and I'll sprinkle on Montreal Seasoning and move it to the fridge. Then tomorrow morning start the charcoal and put it on. Some of our kids are coming and it is my wife's birthday. So, a double whammy. Hope you too have family or friends over. DM
EmpressNine2.jpg

Last edited:
Should be considered a sacred, solemn day by all, it is NOT about fun in the sun.
I visited my uncle's grave yesterday, trimmed the grass and placed a Flag there.
T/Sgt. James E. Hulings, 34th Bombardment Group, Eighth Air Force. KIA 01/20/1945.
Initially buried in Cambridge, England. His remains were returned home for burial in 1948.
I won't let him be forgotten.

Indeed, Jeff. We have it planned to go visit my Father in Law the Colonel later today. He served from 1941-72, 'In Country' in every campaign.
I had to tow the line to get his permission for his baby daughter's hand. And I didn't mind doing it. Here's the Honor Guard in action. DM
ColonelsFuneral4.JPG

Last edited:
This weekend we honor those who sacrificed for the cause of freedom. So, we may enjoy the fruits of their efforts. I honor all of you with loved ones who paid this price for me and my family to know the freedoms we have today. This is for you. DM
View attachment 1133937
Should be considered a sacred, solemn day by all, it is NOT about fun in the sun.
I visited my uncle's grave yesterday, trimmed the grass and placed a Flag there.
T/Sgt. James E. Hulings, 34th Bombardment Group, Eighth Air Force. KIA 01/20/1945.
Initially buried in Cambridge, England. His remains were returned home for burial in 1948.
I won't let him be forgotten.
Well said, both of you. Memorial Day is, as David said, for those who gave their life for our freedom and way of life.. Veterans Day, November 11, is to honor all who have served in the armed forces to maintain our freedoms. America, home of the free because of the brave.
002.JPG

Nice thread post David ... to often we forget the real reasons we have holidays ...

I just want to add not only a huge thank you to those who served ... but to their families that also served as sons, daughters, wives, parents of our troops all sacrificed too ...

God Bless and thank you to everyone that served ... you may not hear it near often enough but you are all appreciated.

- JJ

It comes up every year. There is an obvious distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

It’s seems to me Memorial Day is for all who served and have passed on. Even if they died at home.

I believe this to be true because flags are put on all the graves at Arlington without figuring out where, when, or how the deceased became deceased.

In any case I wish all here a safe Holiday weekend.

It comes up every year. There is an obvious distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

It’s seems to me Memorial Day is for all who served and have passed on. Even if they died at home.

I believe this to be true because flags are put on all the graves at Arlington without figuring out where, when, or how the deceased became deceased.

In any case I wish all here a safe Holiday weekend.

Ed, this is an excerpt from History.com...

'Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars." I did 'bold' the last part. I understand the difficulty of decorating only the graves of those KIA.

Ed, this is an excerpt from History.com...

'Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars." I did 'bold' the last part. I understand the difficulty of decorating only the graves of those KIA.

Certainly correct on all points.

I would hate for somebody to feel it was wrong to honor their relative who came home from war and died at home. Especially if deceased from war injuries or disease contracted while serving even if it was years later.

I think we are all on the same page here.

Most people it seems don’t even know what the word memorial means let alone what Memorial Day means.

Peace be with you all on this sacred weekend. Ed

It has become a holiday weekend for barbecue and the beginning of summer. Glad to see the true and deeper meaning appreciated by forum members .

Here is a picture I took out in the middle of Bear Swamp at an old abandoned farm in the woods, my wife and I were hiking. It really touched me because at the time my son was 19, same age as the soldier who died far from his upstate home.

In our community, there is a "watch fire" ceremony where old flags are burned, and remembrances and the fire is to help guide the spirits of all those passed back home to the rally point.

Attachments

• Henry Wilcox.jpg
    Henry Wilcox.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Watchfire-12.jpg
    Watchfire-12.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 26
Back