Message for GarageBoy

Since I have a week off and my mom has eased up, just a little and she's home. I'm going to ask for them. Any tips on proper wording?

I don't have tips for wording, but make sure you've cleaned up the house and that she knows it (don't tell her out right of course, but let her know).
Richard

This isn't "blade discussion", its "chit-chat" - you guys should use private email. :rolleyes:

this is blade discussion

A boy missing his knives is a very delicate and important issue that must be addressed. We are all here to support GarageBoy during this rough time.

GarageBoy said:
I'm going to ask for them. Any tips on proper wording?

First, be sure to be good for at least a few days. Wait until she is in a good mood. We all know not to ask a woman anything when she is in a bad mood.
Ask her if you can talk to her about something. Then say that you would like to have your knives back. PROMISE her that you will not take them out of the house without her permission and ask her to TRUST you on this. Tell her where you will keep them and agree that she is welcome to check on them at anytime. If she does give them back, do not break you promise or her trust. These things are much more important than any knives. Like I said in the earlier post, your having the knives without her knowledge scared her because she loves you and feared that you would get in trouble with them. You need to remove this fear and gain her trust.
Good Luck.

good luck gb,

go buy your mom some flowers. I don't think we give enough flowers to our mothers and a little "bribery" won't hurt. I know I never did and because of that, I can't seem to start.

just be prepared, if she still doesn't want to return them, don't argue with her. just give her a couple more weeks. persistence and patience will pay off. meanwhile, get in her good books and be "human" to her. no one likes to hurt others, so your mom also knows how you feel.

remember, tell her (oh well, convince her) that you're responsible and that your interest in knives come from their "tool-centric" applicablity, not because you're some mall ninja or something. You also like the engineering and thought that goes behind the knife. Others will add more here.

finally, have you managed to sharpen all your mom's kitchen knives yet?

I think I develope a foolproof plan for you!

1. Join the Army.
2. Tell her you need the knives back. "What if my M-4 jams in close quarters and I don't have room to hit 'em with the gun? I might get hurt."

:D ;)

Good luck!

chocolate and flowers will get you in the good books of nearly any woman... we have some in here that might prefer a knife to a flower[looks for ashes] but flowers and chocolate usually do it.

Spyken, my mom doesn't TOUCH the knives in our house, my dad does the cooking with a POS Swedish knife that has all the serrations ground down

Yes, GarageBoy has my sincere empathy. I don't know you mom, so I'm not sure as to your wording, but whatever you do, don't raise your voice or anything.

When's your mom's birthday? I'd wait for her birthday, go on the computer (one that she uses, if there's a common system) and leave a page open before her birthday saying "Hey my fellow knife fans. If there's one thing I love more than knives, it's my mom. What should I get her for her birthday? I want to show her my appreciation..." blah blah :D

That's blatant suck-uppery BUT it could earn you some points.

Did the get wiped off?

Tell your mom (in your best Brooklyn accent) that if she doesn't give YOUR knives back to you that they'll be plenty of trouble for her, and that being without your beloved knives is making you think crazy, evil thoughts.:D.

Seriously...Your mom is your mom, but she is still a woman...Get down on your knees and BEG her for your knives back, and don't forget to say please, and tell her how pretty she looks.:D.

And if you need to, let her read these posts, and then I'll have a talk with her if you want me to.;).

Architect said:
This isn't "blade discussion", its "chit-chat" - you guys should use private email. :rolleyes:

I don't see the problem with this thread.

Hang in there gb. You'll get them back eventually. Until then you still have a place to at least talk knives.

Paul

Good Luck GB. Worse comes to worst, I'll give you one of my beaters just to get you by for a while. Make sure you've got an addy I can sent it to that MOM won't find out about. Just let me know kid! :)

D13

Even though I've been of legal age to drink alcohol for some time, my mom was still worried about me starting to collect knives several months ago. Eventually she came to understand that my interest in knives was centered on the quality of their construction and their use as tools, and because I consider them very important. She eventually saw that it had nothing to do with violence, but with responsibility, preparedness, and even honor.

She gets a little nervous when I am flipping a balisong in her living room when I visit, but my interest in balisongs is a little more recent. I'll just keep doing it so she gets used to that, too, since I only do it idly (simple twirls and such, no aeirials, which would really scare her). I'll be fine if I don't bleed on her carpet.

Try showing her that it really is a tool, no matter how weapon like it looks. Explain that it is more convenient than carrying scissors and can also function as a food knife in case you ever go to a place that doesn't provide you with a sharp knife especially for your steak, not like that ever happens though :rolleyes: (only twice in 3 months). Try to get her to let you demonstrate to her that you know how to use it, maybe if she's less afraid she'll be more understanding. Explain to her you know the proper way of doing things so you don't cut yourself. After you're old enough to purchase on your own, maybe buy her a Vic Midnite Manager with the light and pen. Show her all that it has and how it can come in handy, and don't forget them chocolates and flowers... we're all pulling for ya ;)

Back