Message from Tim Wegner, Re: Spyderco/Wegner Clipit: Hunter or Tactical Knife?

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
The following was given to my by Tim Wegner for posting here on the forums, he's been having some trouble getting it on here, and I told him I'd post it for him.

Hi guys! I figured I had better jump on line to see if I could shed any light on the subjects being discussed surrounding the Spyderco/Wegner Clipit. Before I get started, I would like to invite you all to view the Clipit Story on our knife page at our website www.blade-tech.com.

The question was posed, "Is the Spyderco/Wegner Clipit a hunter's knife or a tactical knife?" In my humble opinion the very things that make this knife an excellent hunter's tool make it a great tactical blade as well -- consider this, its' primary function is to cut flesh!

First, let me explain the Spyderco/Wegner Clipit's role as a hunter's tool. Most people look at a hunting knife as being just a skinning knife and neglect four other very important tasks: field dressing, quartering, disjointing, and caping. All of which can be accomplished without the aid of an ax or saw. This hunter's tool should also include the knife's possible use as a survival tool.

I designed the Spyderco/Wegner Clipit to be a multi-roled knife which will accomplish all that a back country hunter would require of it in the field while working on an elk sized animal, and still keep its' edge. Keep in mind that any knife will dull if it is used to cut through the dirty hair of a game animal.

The design is what I would call a modified Loveless semi-skinner. The original Spyderco prototype which appeared in pre-production photos had a tip that was too wide for intricate cutting, and the belly was too acute and would have been detrimental to its' intended role as a utility hunter. Spyderco made the changes at my request. The only differecne between the custom version and the production version are the point, the semi-skinner hump, and the length. The point is 1/8" lower on the production knife and the semi-skinner hump is slightly less pronounced. The length at 3 5/8" is 1/8" shorter than the custom. I kept these slight variations in the production knife because they make it an even better knife for all around utility without sacrificing any of its' capabilities as a hunter. The weights are as follows: custom titanium - 5.25 oz, custom lightweight - 3.75 oz, production Spyderco- 5.0 oz.

By using the term back country hunter, I am referring to a person who does most of his hunting far off the beaten path. This type of hunting requires the most efficient, lightweight, and tough equipment that you can afford. This is especially true when the fun stops and the work starts, you are fie miles from camp, and you have to make several back breaking trips paking out 150 lb elk quarters. I know I have done it more than once.

The concept of using one knife to do all the field work, saves on the hassle of having to carry three knives far into the field. I must confess though, I always carry a backup folder in my pack or vest and of course it's a plain edge Spyderco/Wegner clipit.

The Clipit blade is dropped enough to open a carcass without snagging the paunch. It's skinning belly is comprised of a gradual sweep that works great removing the hide from the largest game by using an even rocking motion utilizing the blade's full belly, rather than the tip.

Caping is more of a specialty chore and many hunters elect to have their taxidermist do it. Oh yes, I realize not everyone is a trophy hunter, but I'll bet there are a good number of hunters who, like me, will not turn down a nice trophy if the opportunity arises. The knife's tip strong and sharp, not only aids in opening up the body cavity, but more importantly, it's sharpness gives the ability to perform intricate cutting chores where precision control is required. Despite all of this, the tip is still plenty strong enough for the demanding job of disjointing and quartering. I personally know of two AFCK's (great knives in their own right) that were used to pop joints on elk, and now sport screwdriver tips.

The Clipit's lightly hollow ground blade is just right for cutting flesh, but will take heavy abuse if the situation warrants. The edge geometry is great right out of the box. I can personally attest to the strength of this knife as I seriously tried to break one on a big fat mule deer buck right after I received the first shipment in Nov. '97.

On numerous occasions I have even used my Clipit to split wood for an afternoon warming fire on a frozen Montana day. And in a survival situation I would feel confident that this knife will not let me down.

The handle was designed to fit all hands, gloved or not, by using a larger two finger sized cut out rather than a single finger cutout, which in my opinion would have been a less universal grip format. This also makes the handle comfortable for long periods of time in all grip configurations.

I have said all this to say "Yes, the Spyderco/Wegner Clipit is a great choice as a tactical folder." Datu Kelly Worden also agrees, and he has quite a bit of positive insight as to why this clipit makes a great defensive knife.

Yes, at one time Gunsite was willing to promote this knife as the official GTC knife, but Rich Jee and I decided that it would be better in the long run to promote the knife as the utility hunter it is rather than give undue attention to the "new" knife by portraying it as a fighter. Especially if down the road some poor chap were to use the knife to ginsu his way out of trouble and end up in the court system. In the mean time, Lynn Thompson approached Rich about doing a Gunsite Tactical folder and I wholeheartedly gae them both my blessing.

Sal Glesser and his great Spyderco design team did a fantastic job on transforming my custom knife design into a production piece that is not only accurate but one that rivals the custom version in quality. We have sold over one thousand knives and I have yet to find a bad one. The staff at Spyderco are a great bunch and they are a blessing to work with. Sal and Spyderco's integrity are second to none, they have my utmost respect.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long thread! GOD BLESS!

Tim Wegner

BLADE-TECH INDUSTRIES, INC
Tim Wegner
http://www.blade-tech.com
tim@blade-tech.com

When asked what is my favorite all around production folder, I always say my Spyderco Wegner! Thanks Tim for extolling the virtues of a wonderful design, Sal Glesser for making it available to us and Spark for delivering this message!

L8r,
Nakano

PS- hmmm... a production Ti model maybe??

"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I agree Nakano, the Wegner design is my favorite, too! If more people took the time to handle the knife and see how good it really is, the Wegner fan club would grow! I thank Spark also for taking the time to put Tim's message on the forum and for Tim's time in sharing the info with us. That's what makes this site so awesome!

Thanx Tim, Keeping in mind that every "Good" design has much thought and refinement that goes into it, it is hard for me to explain the design philosphiy behind a design that isn't mine.

Spark, thanx for getting it on screen. Tim and our Spyderco team really did an excellent job on this design.
sal

I thought it would be a good tactical design. I am going to have to have one of these.

------------------
-Dennis-

I think it a great design too, Tim, and executed excellently by Spyderco. Now then, what's the scoop on the Wegner fixed blade?

Jack

I keep one in my hunting kit, great skinner/caper. Only problem, the guys keep eyeing my Spyderco(s)...

When I first handled this knife, it fairly screamed MULTI-PURPOSE TACTICAL/UTILITY TOOL! USE ME!
I had to have it.
I didn't go to the knife store to buy it, in fact I'd seen it many times before, however I was always after something else.
But after handling it, I couldn't put it down, so it came home with me and what I was going for originally stayed on the shelf.
To read this post from Tim only reiterates what I've felt about this folder since I first picked it up.

It is truly something special in the cutlery world.

If you don't own one, check it out. It is something special.

--------------
Mike

------------------
If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid.

Okay, now it's confirmed. I'm carrying THE BEST KNIFE IN THE WHOLE WORLD! I'll reiterate what I've been saying for a year now - Nice work, Tim and Spyderco!

Nakano 2, check out the blate-tech website. They are showing a production Ti model! Yee-doggie, it looks nice.

------------------
Ron

Is that thing shar...OW!

I've been looking for the elusive utility/defense knife for quite a while now. I haven't held the Wegner, so I don't know if it will work for me. However, I'm favorably impressed by what I see and hear from it's designer and you forumites.

I've gotta take a closer look at this one.

The Wegner is a fine knife and was only inched out as my favorite large Spyderco by the Military. If the Wegner were tip down carry and the rivets were replaced with screws it would win hands down.

IMHO the large Wegner is a excellent hunter/camp/kitchen knife.

I own a large 50/50 Wegner and it has fast become my favorite folder. It has a comforting heft to it, feels good in the hand.It's very solid, and feels that way to the user. The liner locks up with a "no doubt about it" ka-chunk! Sharpens easily, and holds an edge well. It is a well thought out design that has been mass produced in first class fashion.I would recommend it to anyone seeking a top of the line production folder, one that will do the job at hand, and is attainable by anyone making a decent wage.

Thanks Ron L. But where on the site? Can' t locate it.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Ron L., thanks again. I found the site originally but was asking about your mentioned production model. Please reread my post. The Ti model shown on Tim' s site is a handcrafted one by custom maker Phil Boguzewski at a cost of several hundred dollars! Hardly production. :)^)

L8r,
Nakano

I find myself carrying my Wegner quite often. It may be marketed as a folding hunter, but alot of the features that make it a great hunter also translate into a great defensive knife. This knife was designed to cut flesh! It is one of the best feeling knives I have handled. I would still like to see it in VG-10 or 440-V with a new lock, but it is great as is! Alot of the guys at my department are buying these now. They couldn't believe it is a hunting knife. Definately a great knife. One of my all-time favorites. I would recommend this knife to anyone looking for a "tactical" knife.

------------------
-Dennis Bible
Knoxville, Tennessee

Hey Tim and Sal, what a great knife! My wife bought me one as a birthday gift (after many hints left in strategic places where she couldn't miss them)! It came solid and sharp, when opening the knife the blade fairly jumped open, and then locked like a bank vault, smooth! Ergonomics are great. In fact, I just finished skinning my 99' firearms buck, a very nice 140's class 9 point. The Wegner Spyderco was a joy to use. I field dressed the buck, skinned and quartered the buck very easily using the large Wegner. In fact, the large Wegner was so nice, I've decided to get a Wegner Jr for small game, ect... And yes, both make outstanding utility knives. Highly recommended, great job gentlemen.

Hey guys,did you ever notice that that Wenger/Spydie looks kinda of like the Emerson Banana or the Elizewitz Spector. I said kinda ok. Well I think that is why is cuts the way it does. It has that semi drop upswept edge, like a sword. U know.

Liong

The Wegner (both large and small) are my favorite Spyderco's. The knife has great ergonomics. Even if you aren't a hunter, you can appreciate the blade shape and its cutting ability. It is a great knife, Tim.

Unfortunately, the shape of the knife doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I always tell them to pick the knife up and handle it for a little while - they love how it feels, BUT they end up buying something else in the end.
frown.gif
I hope Spyderco will continue to carry the Wegner line (sorry to see the junior get the axe).

I wish more ELU gave the Wegner a chance - it is a keeper for sure.
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

Back