Messed up Spyderco Native

Man I really need some advice here. My Native had some side to side wiggle in it and so I had the bright Idea to tap the pivot pin a little and tighten the blade up, now I cant hardly open the blade up. Although it now has no side to side wiggle but it does not open freely anymore. Can i send this to spyderco warranty to be fixed? Ill pay for the repair. Can that be repaired?

Why are you asking us? Isn't it just as easy to send THEM an e-mail and ask them? From what I understand Sal Glesser and his people are excellent on service...so the worst you'll get is a polite no.

From my experience, you can send it to Spyderco, explain what happened, and they will repair it for a fee. Just email them and ask.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me with several byrd knives. Here's what you do:

Open the knife and let it lock. Put the entire blade except for 1-2 mm into a vice (or just grab it in the same place with pliers) and gently flex the handle back and forth perpendicular to the blade edge.

This loosens the pivot back up again. If you get it too loose, gently tap with a mallet or put some leather between the knife and hammer and tap it to your desired tightness.

:thumbup:

Edit, if you're not comfortable with that suggestion you can also try holding the butt of the handle in some pliers and do some prying with a screwdriver (or whatever) between the scales near the pivot. This is exactly the same as method #1 except you're using a screwdriver instead of the blade tang to do the prying.

Man I really need some advice here. My Native had some side to side wiggle in it and so I had the bright Idea to tap the pivot pin a little and tighten the blade up, now I cant hardly open the blade up. Although it now has no side to side wiggle but it does not open freely anymore. Can i send this to spyderco warranty to be fixed? Ill pay for the repair. Can that be repaired?

They'll likely do it for free. Keep in mind that you've used and modified it slightly. Just be forthright. They'll take care of you.

I'd send it in to Spyderco and get it fixed right. Shipping is inexpensive and I've dealt with their customer service/warranty dept. several times and they were excellent.

How is Spyderco going to fix it for free? They may replace it but I didn't think they had the capability to remove pins and repin a knife at the Golden CO. facility.

My advice would be just to contact STR, or Tricod and have them grind off and remove the pin and replace the pivot pin with an adjustable screw assembly. I know STR has done this on a number of occasions. ;)

I've had great customer service from Spyderco - one of the many reasons I like their products.

How is Spyderco going to fix it for free? They may replace it but I didn't think they had the capability to remove pins and repin a knife at the Golden CO. facility.

Well, unless it's a Native II or III (and the OP didn't say it was), it was made at the Golden facility, so they should be able to fix it there.;)

Regards,
3G

I'm with Kazeryu. Do what he says and save yourself the headache and postage. Gently flexing the knife should loosen it up slightly—just enough to make it easy to open and close.

I read a awhile back regarding the blade sideplay in some Natives. The poster recommended placing a razor blade between the blade and the handle then tapping the pivot pin with a hammer. I did this on two of my Natives and it worked fine for me. Still a tiny bit of play but nowhere as much as before I tried this.

Back