Metal frame pocket pistol discussion

My metal framed pocket pistol is a Ruger SP 101. Love it.
Same here. 3", .357 Mag, Hogue grip, lanyard loop, stock front sight, cut for moon clips, lightened trigger. Perfect.
oOVaNRd.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
SP-101 in a coat pocket perhaps? If there was no polymer guns, you'd simply have more aluminum and titanium guns.

Maybe Colt would have never failed if they poly guns did not exist?

There is and will be always a market segment that buys Raven Arms and Jimenez Arms pistols. That market does not include me.

The Colt Mustang was a beautiful little handgun, but the one I owned was a jammamatic. I eventually sold it off hoping that who ever owned it could improve on its reliability.

SP101? You guys must have big and sturdy pockets!
Not really. It's not large revolver. Robust, yes. When I'm not riding, in which case the SP101 goes in a Dave Ferry flap holster, it can sit comfortably in my right hip pocket. Key or Carhartt jeans hold it just fine. Hammer never snags, surprisingly. Extra moon clip of five rounds fits nicely in the watch pocket.

Zieg

I now some of those earlier Mustangs had problems. Had a buddy had one that had lots of trouble. This is a new one, couple years old now and it has been perfect. Several thousand rounds through it now. It goes bang and is accurate particualrly considering the small sights and my old eyes. If ya can find an new one, highly recommended.

Still got that old holster Zieg? Hows it wearing?

What about the AMT backup and those variants? Outside of the heavy weight, horrid recoil and whatnot, a study little piece. Another option would be the Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm and 40. Then you can get the hammerless kit to make it a bit easier for carry.

Still got that old holster Zieg? Hows it wearing?

Heck, yeah! It looks about as good as the day I got it. It hugs the body and rides high enough that it doesn't get much abuse on the farm, on hikes, in the saddle (of course!). You'll recall I wasn't the first owner, so it came well broken in, but not at all abused. I am the one got gun grease and trail dirt inside it, but are your holsters fairly soft in when you ship them out? I'm guessing so, as it's a lined holster and that bit was buttery!

Zieg

The old Colt Mustangs were nice little guns ... NAA were decent guns still are if you find one ... Walther PPKs ... Sig P230 or newer P232 ... and always S&W J Frames. And I do have a Bond Arms Derringer thats is easy to slip in a pocket.

Defense from what? A chipmunk?

A .25 in the right place will kill you just as dead as a 9mm. Don't parrot off the dumb internet sayings started by someone who never saw anyone killed by a small caliber. I personally knew one guy who was killed by a single round from a .25 Raven in a would be robbery. It's been almost 30 years ago, but he's still dead.

Would you want to be shot by one?

Last edited:
I always wanted a Colt Detective Special. I have the 4" PP, but would have picked up the DS too if I knew they were going to discontinue them.
Colt-Detective-Special-7.jpg

Good deal Zieg. Yeah that holster type is relatively soft as it is not molded to a specific gun like my pancake type holsters. Advantage there is it will hold a wide variety of guns of the same approx. size. Glad that's working for ya. Yep I remember you got it off the bay I believe.

A .25 in the right place will kill you just as dead as a 9mm. Don't parrot off the dumb internet sayings started by someone who never saw anyone killed by a small caliber. I personally knew one guy who was killed by a single round from a .25 Raven in a would be robbery. It's been almost 30 years ago, but he's still dead.

Would you want to be shot by one?

Would I volunteer to be shot? Na, I remember having bb gun fights back in the day, that sucked enough.

.25s have terrible ballistics and overall, sucks. Most .22LR rounds have more power behind them. You can easily be killed by someone throwing a rock or you should survive a shotgun blast to the face, when it's your time it's your time but anything can happen but the odds are.....25s are underpowered and the size of the pistols available in them you can bump up to a .380 which has better self defense ammo available and have more power behind them.

It's funny you talk about BB gun fight's. I was just starting an MRI exam when they pulled me out and told me I have a small piece of metal in my scalp.BB

It's funny you talk about BB gun fight's. I was just starting an MRI exam when they pulled me out and told me I have a small piece of metal in my scalp.BB
I think I still have one in my butt cheek, courtesy of my brother. Shot me in the ass during a supposed truce.... I had to leave to take a poop! He shot me in the ass on my way there....

I've pocket carried my spurless Sp101 Ruger in .357 a lot. Ive owned it about 16 years. It is a heavy pocket brick, no doubt.

Normally, if carried, it gets a iwb holster.
gZumhSw.jpg

(I have also been shot by my brother by a bb gun, many times!) Used to put on glasses and have "wars" wirh single pump pistols. Would also go to a paved parkimg lot and skip strike any where matches at each other! Once he shot me wirh a BB gun rifle while I was riding away on a 3 Wheeler, made me crash!

Thw .357 does not get as much cary time this year, as i have a .40 M&P shield. (Not being a metal frame it is lighter, and off topic, I guess)

OmXv4i8.jpg

Back