Metal Wedge?

I am working on putting new handles on the half dozen or so axe heads I've had laying around, I stuck the True Temper axe head that apparently someone hit with a sledgehammer (I can only assume trying to use it as a wedge) and shattered the fiberglass handle. It seems pretty snug in the new handle but I have about six of those little round metal wedges that I pulled out of busted Collins axes before returning them to the hardware store because the handles broke after ten minutes :grumpy:. I don't know if I trust my rehndling job though but how good could something that fractures the wood even further be? Would you guys use them or just stick with the simple wooden wedge?

On a big head I have used the wood wedge then a metal wedge diagonal also.
Always seems to work....

On a big head I have used the wood wedge then a metal wedge diagonal also.
Always seems to work....

I'm just talking about a normal chopping head. You are talking about the little metal ring (about an inch long, kind of cone shaped) as the metal wedge right?

The ones I have used are shaped just like a wood wedge. They come in a few different sizes at a hardware store.

So apparently the people putting the handles on the Collins axes available at the hardware store knew nothing about putting handles on axes because I've never done it before and my job has already lasted longer than all of theirs.

Back