Meteorite Damascus Gyuto/chef knife

Heres one we have been working on over the past few months. It all started out as a pieces of meteorite from the heavens!!

My son Randy Jr. forged and refined the piece till it was ready to be added to a stack of 1095 High Carbon steel..

After much work and a few delays, I have the blade ground out and ready for handles!!

Here it is, "Galaxy Pattern damascus"

MetioriteWIPBladegrindandetch073.jpg
MetioriteWIPBladegrindandetch092.jpg
MetioriteWIPBladegrindandetch089.jpg
MetioriteWIPBladegrindandetch088.jpg
MetioriteWIPBladegrindandetch112.jpg

For anyone who is interested, I have done a WIP on the process. and its in the Hot metal area of KD forum

UNBELIEVABLE. That is too beautiful for words. I am jealous!
Thanks for posting.
Would love to see the finished knife with handle.

Here is a sneak peak of the blade with the Ivory scales I plan on using.. :)

Ill post up finished photos here when its done.. Thanks

WIPMakersmarkandetch018.jpg

I had a piece of beautiful Mammoth ivory tusk which I cut special for this knife! the first photo shows the piece with the damascus for the bolsters.. Which is from the same bar of meteorite damascus.. Its gona look AWESOME!!

meteoritewipIVORY001.jpg
meteoritewipIVORY018.jpg
meteoritewipIVORY048.jpg

meteoritewipIVORY101.jpg

Thanks for the comment. Im with you, I love the contrast on this one!!

Alright, I know I said the next post would be pics of the finished knife.. I lied! lol But the next post will 4sure!!

Worked today making the pieces that will complete the presentation box. I am adding a couple of pieces in addition to the knife.. First a chunk of the same mammoth tusk used on the handles. And second a piece of the same meteorite that we used to forge the blade!

I love both of these materials.
The Meteorite is so cool. It has a 3D effect that has to be seen to be appreciated. As you move it it changes, and areas that are dark become light and visa versa. Its well, Out of this world amazing! I took a chunk and shaped it into a oval and faceted the edges.

The Ivory is also a amazing material. Its hard to describe. Theres a silky smoothness that is a pleasure to feel and a warmth that only comes from natural materials. Upon closer examination there is a grain in the ivory, That is faint yet very visible. and looks like a matrix of cris crossing lines is spectacular. Its the ORIGINAL spirograph! lol

NewdamascuspatternWIPivoryandmetiorite139.jpg
NewdamascuspatternWIPivoryandmetiorite132.jpg
NewdamascuspatternWIPivoryandmetiorite150.jpg
NewdamascuspatternWIPivoryandmetiorite151.jpg
NewdamascuspatternWIPivoryandmetiorite154.jpg

The pieces are going to be included in the presentation box with the damascus knife. :)

Attachments

• Out of this worls WIP box pics 024.jpg
    Out of this worls WIP box pics 024.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Out of this worls WIP box pics 013.jpg
    Out of this worls WIP box pics 013.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Out of this worls WIP box pics 007.jpg
    Out of this worls WIP box pics 007.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
Some Photos by Sharp By COOP!!! Thanks Jim, These pictures really capture the knife better then I could ever do!

orig4.jpg
Haas_120207B-web.jpg

Back