mexico...

I'm heading down to Mexico for a week on the beach and in the city :) bad idea to take knives? what are your thoughts? customs inspection? Laws? thanks

I don't know about the laws, but when I was in Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago, plenty of locals and tourists had those familiar little clips stuck to their pockets. Quite a few fixed blades were hanging on belts of locals as well. I don't know if recent events have changed anything though.

Didn't see much evidence of knives when down there over Christmas. If you take a bus, put your lock-back in your checked luggage. If you carry, do so discreetly and you shouldn't have any problem. After all, campesinos carry machetes openly. There are a lot of cops and soliders on the streets of Mexico City (and elsewhere), and they carry submachine guns. Lots of security guards around, too. I noticed one in a restaurant who was wearing a Colt Python -- pretty expensive for a low wage position. They did frisk some passengers (not norteamericanos) getting on and occasionally the bus would stop somewhere, a uniformed person would get aboard and one or two passengers would be searched. Don't know what criteria they used. Didn't see any knives for sale except some tourist junk, probably made in Pakistan. The only person I saw using a knife outside a restaurant was a guy in Vera Cruz, cutting bait out on a wharf. He was using what looked like a common seaman's knife from 100 years ago.

Mexico laws are not that strict on knives, just some considerations...

DONT TAKE A SWORD!!! :p
Fixed blade will get you in trouble
Automatic knife will get you in trouble

for the folders, the police use the rule of 4 fingers for the lenght of the blade if the blade is larger than 4 fingers (Sideways) you get in trouble.

The sanctions for carrying an illegal knife are usually an administrative punishment (24-48 hours in jail) or a fine about 20-50 US equivalent depending on the judge who trails you.

Don´t take the knife to discos or bars since they might have metal detectors or pad search at the entrance. but If you don´t want to leave the knife put it on your gal´s purse, they usually don´t look there. :D

Airports, bus terminals?, same US like rules apply

PS. What ever you do, don´t take ANY firearms

HTH

Alex

Be discreet, and don't take a knife that you're not willing to part with. Some officers like knives and may want a new one for their personal collection.

Went to Cancun a few years ago, discreetly carried a Delica the whole time with no problem.

sry i might have saved some time for u guys :( i feel dumb now lol ive been to mexico about 7 times :) but all before sept 11th and security step up. but thnx for the replys i started to worry what would happen if i got caught lol... one problem the knife id take is blackout think there could be an auto vs. speed safe prob?

Take a SAK or a stockman and you shouldn't have any trouble. The Mexican authorities may not like the assisted opening knives. You will be in another country, with another set of rules/interepetations. Best to not make waves.:)

Back