MGregory Knives/PML Knives collaboration fighter

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
This one is an unusual one, for me. Certainly not my what most would describe as my 'style' (assuming I even have such a thing). Ages ago, my buddy Paul Letourneau of PML Knives sent me a waterjetted blank of one of his 'LSK' fighters, and it sat in my shop, ignored, up until a month ago. Between heat treating cycles one day, I noticed it and figured it was time to do something about it...

This is the first 'nightmare' grind I've ever done. It's made of 1/4" thick Crucible CPM-S35vn, with a 6" blade, and an overall length of 11". The tip is flat ground, and the primary bevel is hollow ground on a 12" wheel. The flats of the knife have been left with the 'as-rolled' finish from the rolling mill, as Paul was pretty fond of doing this, and I like the texture it offers, too. Our maker's marks are on opposite sides of the knife.

The red and black marbled carbon fiber has been sculpted with scallops fore and aft, which I tried in vain to capture with my camera. Holy cow is marbled carbon fiber like this hard to get a good photo of!!!!!

37542037800_b1668db72d_b.jpg

37800189231_16e330a8d5_b.jpg

I hope I did his design justice. Thanks for looking!

That is a crazy knife, I like the handle shape a lot.

Nice piece, good job stretching your comfort zone! That carbon fiber is gorgeous.

Clean and mean - well done bud :thumbsup:

Nice work on that grind buddy

Never would have guess that was your first "nightmare grind." Well done.

I don't think I've ever seen a scalloped handle. I've recently been challenged on my thinking regarding handles and what I (thought) I like. How is that in hand?

It indexes surprisingly well, and the forward scallops provide a nice spot for the pad of your palm below your index finger to rest, and a nice groove for your thumb on the other side, if you aren't pointing it with a saber grip.

I've recently been challenged on my thinking regarding handles and what I (thought) I like. How is that in hand?

...as if the carbon fiber isn't hard enough to photograph, here's the spine detail:

37766674186_f674362b8c_b.jpg

From the tip, it starts with a beveled spine that I use a lot on my Japanese fusion pieces, which gently fades out as the spine approaches the handle, leaving a triangular flat between what's left of the bevel. All of this while happening on the outside curve of the profile of the knife.

Back