Off Topic Micarta and Kirinite Question

afishhunter

Gold Member
Unquestionably, Y'all've played with Micarta and Kirinite a lot more than I have*, so perhaps you'll know?

How well would Ivory paper Micarta or an Kirinite pearl or coral of some sort work for stock inlays on a (percussion) muzzleloading rifle?

"Everybody and their extended family" has brass or "German Silver"/Nickel Silver/Pewter inlays. I'm weird. I want something different. :D
Real pearl, ivory, tortoise, whale parts, etc. sales are restricted, and out of my budget. Mastodon parts is out of my budget, as well.

I'm also considering buffalo horn for inlays?

Would Micarta or Kirinite be strong enough to use as a hinged patchbox cover?
(Thompson Center "Hawken" rifle. I'd consider making a new patchbox with Micarta or Kirinite to replace the existing brass one, if that would simplify the hinge and lid spring.)

*If you've used Micarta or Kirinite just once, that is still "a lot more" than I have.

Thank you.

I don’t think micarta has enough pop to justify using as a inlay. Kirinite on the other hand can be polished to a deep gloss that could look great if that’s what you are after.

I definitely would not use kirinite as a patch box cover. While it can be beautiful it’s not exactly structurally sound. It needs to be supported, as it is with knife scales.

I think you can polish ivory paper Micarta to a nice gloss:

DSC_2878.jpg

Get it to look almost like ivory. Kirinite too.
Structurally, Micarta is good, especially the fabric stuff. I wouldn't use any of the pearls; they are kinda flakey; brittle to work with so you have to be careful.
I have some dyed buffalo horn and it seems pretty stiff also, but sizes are limited and the set I got is fairly thick; the dyed part is only so deep, like about 1/16" or so I think.
Go to some place like Jantz and order a bunch to test, most of the stuff is not too expensive.

Horn shrinks and warps.
Micarta or G10 is your best option.
Or possibly aluminum- it can be anodized almost any color.

Back