micarta for Becker

I'm considering fabricating some micarta handle slabs for my Becker. Does anyone have experience working this material?
Thanks
Dave

Sorry, I haven't made any handles, micarta or otherwise. But I can understand your need for replacement handles on those Becker knives. Some seem to like them, but I think the Becker handles are the worst on any knives I own. I quit buying Becker knives because of those clunky, slippery handles.

Ya me too.

This is as far as I got on these pakkawood scales for my BK9. It's tough to get scales large enough so these will be a little smaller.

All I need are some tools.

You need only to bead blast the scales to have a brand new and vastly improved handle.

25959162.jpg

I think Bill Siegle was making these for awhile, but does not offer them anymore.You might ask him for some info.

Where, or what kind of business does"bead blasting?
I found some micarta sources on the web but it ain't cheap. It looks like it would "work" like wood though. I was thinking of cutting a template from masonite or oak or aluminum; affixing the micarta to it and routing with a radiused bit? any ideas?
Dave

I dimpled mine with hundreds of craters like Simmonich's "Gunner Grip". Took a long time, but the 2 I've done have gotten rave reviews by those who have held them. I'd make new Miacrta scales, but it's not worth it on a $53.00 knife.

Micarta dust is very bad for your lungs. Take proper precautions (filter...) before working on it.

Sand Blasting is used with painting to remove old paint and rust. Any industrial type painting shop should have a sand blaster they use on old rusty trailers and such. Take you handles off and, piggy back on their next sand blasting job. Should be pretty darn cheap and whole lot easier then making your own handle slabs.

Originally posted by Sid Post
Sand Blasting is used with painting to remove old paint and rust. Any industrial type painting shop should have a sand blaster they use on old rusty trailers and such. Take you handles off and, piggy back on their next sand blasting job. Should be pretty darn cheap and whole lot easier then making your own handle slabs.
............and isn't it wonderful that all you need is one tiny wrench and you can remove the scales. Bead blast or replace with cocobola. Whatever! I wish all my utility fixed blades had this simple, inexpensive option. Why isn't this more common? Am I missing something?

Back