Micarta Goddard, few thoughts...

Purchased number two of this model about a week ago and finally had a chance to put it through it paces today while working on a house construction project of Habitat for Humanity. Number one walked out of my BDU's hanging in a field shower somewhere on West FT. Hood.

First task that presented itself was sectioning a massive amount of visaqueen that had been previously covering vinyl siding and lumber. The visaqueen itself was covered with red Arkansas clay, which abraided the nice satin finish with a quickness. It is now covered with a patchwork of fine
scratches from the clay.

Great handle contours, stayed in my paw even though coated in slippery clay. Had to unclog the lock a few times. Next was deboxing a water heater, heater and AC unit. Industrial grade shipping cardboard is serious stuff, and it took the serrated portion of the blade to do most of the cutting. The Goddard has a really good ratio of serrated to nonserated edge, enough if both to be functional, and perhaps most important, the start of the serrations is a large serration, not a series of smaller ones, that acts as a smoother stansition from smooth to serrated cutting edge.

Spent the rest of the day cutting minor strips out of vinyl siding. All in all, I'd say that I pulled the knife out of my waistband fifty times. The nice satin black clip, that I wish Spyderco put on all their knives, now has a nice silver sheen around the lower edge. The smooth finish of hte clip and the polished micarta allows for one hand replacement in the waistband, a big plus in my opinion.

Back at home, I inspected the edge, no chips or deformation, but the factory edge was gone, and the plain portion was about as dull as a butter knife. The steel on this sample is GIN-1 and sharpened up with little effort and is now back to paper shaving sharp.

Hmm, hope Spyderco starts releasing more models with 440V. Is this steel as good as everyone says? The only downside of this otherwise handy knife, soft steel. Hurry up with the Starmate!
smile.gif

chrisJohn - Thanx for sharing. The newer models are slowly changing over to ATS-55. ATS-55 has about 10% more carbon than Gingami I. All other things being equal, this equates to about 10% increase in edge holding with a slight decrease in corrosion resistance. The addition of cobalt in ATS-55 might lean slightly more favorable in both areas.
sal

Back