Micarta Monday - Traditional Knives Only, Please

Good Monday everyone, it isn’t too long before fishing season opens here in the Northland and that has me thinking about these filet knives Ricky Menefee made for me, all with micarta scales. Left to right, green canvas, very old natural canvas, and vintage Westinghouse blue line micartaView attachment 1106629

Those are top of the range! :cool::thumbsup: Extreme beauty and functional too.

Question if somebody can answer. I have a Micarta Puukko style made for me by Muskratman, but it is matte Micarta. How do go about polishing them to get a finish like the ones shown here?

Thanks, Will

It's tough but it's not rough...very well finished and makes for a pleasing work-knife :cool:

a7JoC4h.jpg

Those are top of the range! :cool::thumbsup: Extreme beauty and functional too.

Question if somebody can answer. I have a Micarta Puukko style made for me by Muskratman, but it is matte Micarta. How do go about polishing them to get a finish like the ones shown here?

Thanks, Will

Will, micarta makes a mess. Some guys talk about only using scotch brite on it, but I haven't gotten a polished finish with that. Progressively higher grits of sandpaper, followed by some low speed buffing with finer polishing compound. Also, don't let the buffer touch any metal pins, because that will deposit black on the micarta.

Here's a link to some guys in a post talking about using power tools: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/polishing-canvas-micarta.617825/

L lee4 - I see where you are from. So maybe you recognize the picture by any chance?
Dwight, I can't see much of the background behind the dog, but I'm gonna guess somewhere in the Texas Hill Country? Perhaps Canyon Lake? Just a guess.
I haven't posted a pic to BF in a while so I was going to post a pic of my red micarta Freemont Jack, but then I couldn't remember my photo hosting site password and I inadvertently hit "submit" so that's why there's a mostly blank post with a link to someone else's pic. My bad, a mod can delete that post if they want to. Now where did I write down my passwords...

Lee

Dwight, I can't see much of the background behind the dog, but I'm gonna guess somewhere in the Texas Hill Country? Perhaps Canyon Lake? Just a guess.
I haven't posted a pic to BF in a while so I was going to post a pic of my red micarta Freemont Jack, but then I couldn't remember my photo hosting site password and I inadvertently hit "submit" so that's why there's a mostly blank post with a link to someone else's pic. My bad, a mod can delete that post if they want to. Now where did I write down my passwords...

Lee
Very close Lee! The pic is part of the dust cover of the book - "Goodbye To a River" by John Graves. He floated the Brazos shortly before they damned it. Good luck with your passwords...

Back