micarta vs. G-10

Could some of you folks give me pro's and con's here when used for handles. My impression is that micarta has a classier look, but G-10 is a better tactical choice. Any other views?

Hi Donovan,
I have to say that I prefer G10 over micarta. It has more heft and doesn't feel so much like plastic.
Also, unlike micarta, you can remove scratches from smooth G10 scales with a little light buffing with fine steel wool.
Finally, it just feels better to me. Textured or smooth.
Later, Bill

Well I have used both so I'll just give ya a couple different pros and cons..
I'll start with the pros..
Micarta-Nice look, very unform and stable
G-10 - rugged hard working stuff

i like the look of the micarta, especially the linen types over the G10, I think it just looks more uniform.. Although the G10 is a tougher material.

Cons

Micarta- burns if it is worked too fast, or with worn abrasives, also the colors in some can bleed out if worked too hot..

G10- this stuff is like instaling fiberglass insulation in the nude! This stuff is mega nasty for your lungs, as is micarta.

G10- COLOR... I have found a wide varieties of colors in this stuff, from red to blue to green, and black, but the problem is consistancy in color, you can get a peice that looks blue and when ground turns teal, and you can get another peice from the same place and have it stay blue.. i have had the blacks sort of a grey color and the reds even a little yellow..

I dont beleive one is any better than the other, I think each has its own place in the market, and based upon usage and appearance, each has its own drawbacks..

Alan Folts..

I like micarta. I figure that any stress that would defeat linen or canvas micarta would defeat my hand first. And I can make a knife handle out of micarta with ordinary saws and drills, and my face mask is sufficient protection from the dust.

- James Mattis
www.chaicutlery.com

Thanks for your input, guys. You've pretty much reinforced my impressions. I've decided to go with micarta.

Does G-10 pose a health risk once the machining is done and the user is using it?

No, the health risk mentioned is one of breathing the dust that comes off this substance. Being a fiberglass epoxy laminate, both the formaldihydes in the epoxy and the fiberglass fiber from the cloth can cause bronchial problems, like silicosis of the lungs, and bronchial infections, and a lot of symptoms like black lung disease..

WEAR A VENTALATOR!

Alan Folts..

Back