Micro Praetorian Review & Size Comparison - I like little big knives & I cannot lie.

I love little big knives. I was scouring around the internet trying to find good examples of a size comparison between a Medford Micro Praetorian and a ZT0900 and Spyderco Techno and I didn't come up with much. I was on the fence of whether or not a Micro Praetorian was actually a small knife. Since I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting a Micro Praetorian, I wanted to take the opportunity to snap a couple of size comparison pictures of a Micro Praetorian vs. Spyderco Techno vs. ZT0900 vs. a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 and share my thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on the Micro Praetorian:
The Micro Praetorian IS a small knife. I like to carry little big knives everywhere but it's also nice to feel comfortable carrying the smaller sized knives at work. The Micro Praetorian almost pushes the boundaries as far as being comfortably small at work just because it looks and feels a little like a giant hatchet, but like I said, it IS small and fits in the palm of my hand nicely.

The Micro Praetorian is also very light. It does not feel like a rock and I like it in the pocket. Although, a deep carry pocket clip like the Techno would be perfect. Unfortunately, even with a deep carry pocket clip, I feel like the glass breaker would still be sticking out of my pocket a lot. Not a biggie though. My plan is to carry the Micro in my back pocket. However, with the detent being "medium" to "medium light" I will have to carry it in a pocket sheath.

OVERALL COMPARISON
In comparing the knife to the other small knives (ZT 900 and Techno), I don't see any knife being better than the other. Each are GREAT at something. The Dragonfly 2 isn't included in the comparisons below because I feel that that knife is in a different league as it is not in a similar size range.
Techno: Best all around knife and hides in the pocket well (but I may be partial to this one because I've had it the longest.
ZT0900: Smoothest and easiest to open knife that I have ever owned (thanks, ball bearings.)
Micro Praetorian: Ultimate little big knife style. Noticeably better build quality than the others being compared (even though the techno and ZT are EXCELLENT) and impressively smooth.

Grip:
Since these are small knives I should probably lend my opinion on fit in the hand (grip).
Techno: Like a glove 3 and 3/4 finger grip but with no finger choil (still feels safe and secure without the finger choil)
ZT0900: Like a glove 3 and a half finger grip with finger choil
Micro Praetorian: decent (albeit, I haven't had this knife more than a day to get used to it) 3 and a 1/2 finger grip. Handle tapers in the rear and the blade is way heaving than the blade making it feel a little less sturdy. Nice finger choil. If there was a true place to put your first finger in front of the choil, this knife would fit like a glove. Still, the grip is 8 out of 10

NOTE: This is my first day with the Medford. My opinions may change on the feel of the knife and such as I use it more. But the bottom line is, this is the most expensive knife that I have ever purchased and I feel like it's a keeper and I am going to have a great, long relationship with this knife!

Please share your thoughts on any of these knives.

Pictured below are the Large Sebenza (for reference), Zero Tolerance 0900, Medford Micro Praetorian, Spyderco Techno, K2 Sidekick (A little big knife I made myself), and the Spyderco Dragonfly 2 G10.

21838460860_bc334117d4_b.jpg

21838767348_8ab2c8c1dc_b.jpg

21403823844_307af9c832_b.jpg

Last edited:
Tell ya the truth.....I really like the one you made bro!
Looks super clean.....nice little big knife!
Joe

I'm sure you're perspective on the Micro P will evolve with break-in and use, all for the better IMO. I also own the Dragonfly II G-10, Techno as well as several other ~3" folders and fix blades. I'm fickle as far as my EDC rotation but overtime the Medford became the most carried and used. The black PVD on a stubby blade makes for a very stealthy knife in office and public use. It looks like slight of hand the way it opens with creamy smoothness, locks up vault solid, cuts like a laser then quietly folds up. The poor value proposition means it's not for everyone however.

What is the knife second from the left? Just curious. Sorry just saw description, k2? Any details?

That's a knife that I made. Sorry. There is only one.

[video=youtube;Mhn-mN13mE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhn-mN13mE4[/video]

So the end result of this purchase is that this knife is too big to be considered small. I don't feel comfortable taking it out at work like I do with the zt 0900 or Spyderco Techno. I also don't like how it feels very insecure in the hand due to the fact that the blade is WAY heavier than the handle and the handle is too small to get a really good grip on it. If the knife was even just somewhat balanced, the small handle wouldnt' even be close to an issue.

I see this knife being for someone who really likes the crude design of the praetorian, but doesn't want to lug around a huge full size praetorian. Most people I showed this knife to said that it was a medium sized knife, not a small knife (like the techno). That's fine, but it's not what I was looking for. It has a very high build quality though. It's a nice knife. It's just not what I was looking for.

Back