Review Microtech MSI / Some (Subjective) Thoughts / UPDATE: HOW TO FALL BACK IN LOVE!

Niall88

Gold Member
5/29/23 QUICK UPDATE: HOW TO FALL BACK IN LOVE WITH YOUR MICROTECH MSI
Alright, you can read what I wrote below, or maybe you have already read it. As many of us know, who own the Microtech MSI, it is not the most comfortable knife to hold. It certainly does not melt into one's hand. Today I had a most brilliant idea, at least brilliant for me since I only have a few brain cells left. And I did this type of polishing on my Emerson G10 so it was not a pocket shredder. I got myself a very small piece of 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper, this is rather 'fine' grade. I wiped a coat of nontoxic CLP onto the sandpaper and very gently scrubbed/sanded just the outside and inside edges of the dip in the handle where your first two fingers fit in. If I showed you a photo you would barely be able to tell I took off any material. However, I tell you loud and clear it makes all the difference in the world! It literally alleviates some of the subtle irritation that comes from those sharp edges in that area. I barely smoothed it out and it is just a world of difference. You cannot even tell I did anything to the knife upon close inspection. The secret, just in case you need me to say it, is using the CLP, olive or coconut oil, as a lube while you are sanding with the wet/dry sand paper. This 'lube' literally polishes while you are taking down some material. Way more comfortable now!
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Was curious about the new Microtech MSI. So I bought one here on BF. Like many of you, I watch the knives that come up for sale. I noticed there was an obviously large number of MSI going up for sale immediately after the person had it in their hands. This again peaked my curiosity. Although I have seen knives come up for sale after a drop, these MSI numbers appeared quite large to me. Why were so many people selling them? I read explanations such as: "wanted different color scales", "a bit large for me", etc. But nobody was of course saying anything bad about the knife.

I am keeping the knife, I kind of like it. However, I want share some thoughts. And forgive me, these are not totally objective and factual, it is mostly subjective what I am sharing here. However, I am guessing that others had the same 'subjective' experience I have had, but were not saying anything (if this all makes sense?).

Like I say, a bit subjective. When my M3 Tactical Tech Marine Raider goes into my hand, it is an immediate love affair in terms of instant fit and comfort and melting into the hand. One of my favorites, my Hinderer Project X, comfortable and an immediate, subjective, nonverbal "yes" for the fit and feel. This is the same for my Spartan Blades Pallas and Emerson CQC8. And other knives as well, just an immediate good feeling and fit when they go into the hand, as well as opening and closing.

The first thing I noticed with the Microtech MSI is that something just did not feel like it was matching between the ratio/heft/weight of the blade compared to the handle. I cannot put it into words, maybe the handle/scale side is too light compared to the heavy blade. I like large knives, this does not feel like a large knife to me for some reason. In addition, I noticed that never, never, never, will holding the knife feel comfortable and like a nice "yes" fit. It won't happen. That was the most obvious subjective experience to me. The handle, I cannot say why, I feel is a stupid design, not well thought out. How thin the cut away ramps are on the G10 where your thumb slides into the opening hole is a total hot spot, not in any way comfortable. I don't think I have ever picked up a knife that has felt so foreign in my hand. Again, I apologize for how subjective I am being.

The point being is that I can fully understand why so many of these knives are getting resold immediately after people purchase them, even if the seller is not complaining in any way about the knife. There is just an overall "feel" about the knife that just does not land well subjectively. I wonder if anyone else agrees with me, or can be more intelligently articulate than I am being here with my subjective rambling?

I will keep the knife. In a strange way, I kind of like how unique it is. I will turn it into a user for sure. But again, falling in love with the knife, as I did immediately with my Marine Raider, Spartan Blades Pallas or Hinderer Project X, that is not going to happen with the MSI.

UPDATE 5/29/23
Although I still agree with all that I said above, after carrying using the knife a bit, I have come to like it. Again, it is not the most comfortable knife, does not melt into one's hand in any way. But for some reason I do like it. Deploys nicely and can be closed by just using the thumb on one side of the ram lock to unlock and snap closed. Kinda cool. I will keep it.

16839276617828090926688398324550.jpg

Last edited:
qTY8Tkd.jpg
I just got one last night. Caveat up front, I bought this for my brother in law.
For me it was quite a bit bigger than I thought it was. I immediately noticed that it was always difficult to get my hand in place to open the blade. As the OP mentioned it has an unnatural awkward grip on the scales.
The blade once you can get your finger on the hole, opens smoothly and effortlessly. Locks in place with an authoritative snap and is very solid. However, I’m used to my BM 940 in terms of shape and size, and use the lock bar to flick the knife open… the MSI will take some training. (Muscle memory) to perfect that type of opening with the RAM LOK mechanism.
Final thought: I would love to see a MSI-85 version of this knife.

qTY8Tkd.jpg
I just got one last night. Caveat up front, I bought this for my brother in law.
For me it was quite a bit bigger than I thought it was. I immediately noticed that it was always difficult to get my hand in place to open the blade. As the OP mentioned it has an unnatural awkward grip on the scales.
The blade once you can get your finger on the hole, opens smoothly and effortlessly. Locks in place with an authoritative snap and is very solid. However, I’m used to my BM 940 in terms of shape and size, and use the lock bar to flick the knife open… the MSI will take some training. (Muscle memory) to perfect that type of opening with the RAM LOK mechanism.
Final thought: I would love to see a MSI-85 version of this knife.
Sounds like you had a fairly similar experience that I had. Thanks for responding.

Don't have one and wont!!!!! Fugly colors and blade shapes to match......You would think with all the aesthetically pleasing and comfortable blades Anthony Marfione has made in the last 29 years this would have been a home run........Even though I am curious about the lock no way I'm getting one of these.....
BUTT FUGLY!!!!!

I got one last week and have been thinking about the knife, too. I agree that it is hard to articulate what's wrong with it. It feels like a slightly unfamiliar tool somehow, that I need to intentionally operate rather than just use without thinking. Beyond that, I ride a desk for a living; it is just too big for me most of the time.

I'm not entirely down on it. I like the blade. The button lock design is first rate, really well done. As a lefty, I love that it is ambidextrous. And while it isn't the prettiest thing around, the design language works. It checks a lot of boxes, but is still somehow hard to like.

A "mini" that is about 10-15% smaller is an obvious thing to do, and I rather suspect they'll release one. I think the handle could use a rethink, which I think won't happen.

I got one last week and have been thinking about the knife, too. I agree that it is hard to articulate what's wrong with it. It feels like a slightly unfamiliar tool somehow, that I need to intentionally operate rather than just use without thinking. Beyond that, I ride a desk for a living; it is just too big for me most of the time.

I'm not entirely down on it. I like the blade. The button lock design is first rate, really well done. As a lefty, I love that it is ambidextrous. And while it isn't the prettiest thing around, the design language works. It checks a lot of boxes, but is still somehow hard to like.

A "mini" that is about 10-15% smaller is an obvious thing to do, and I rather suspect they'll release one. I think the handle could use a rethink, which I think won't happen.
Yes, you said it well! "It feels like a slightly unfamiliar tool". Well said. I figured there might be others who shared my experience on this knife.

A good sign that a knife isn’t well received is when you constantly see it for sale as “new in box” and never see pics of it in the EDC thread.

Don't have one and wont!!!!! Fugly colors and blade shapes to match......You would think with all the aesthetically pleasing and comfortable blades Anthony Marfione has made in the last 29 years this would have been a home run........Even though I am curious about the lock no way I'm getting one of these.....
BUTT FUGLY!!!!!
Ya, well said. I don't know why, I kind of like the knife. Want to hate it however. But it feels like I would be willing to put the knife to work and bang it up without thinking about it. Whereas, I am hestitant on other knives which I treat kind of gently although they should be users. The scales feel like cheap plastic so somehow I can justify turning the knife into a user.

Ya, well said. I don't know why, I kind of like the knife. Want to hate it however. But it feels like I would be willing to put the knife to work and bang it up without thinking about it. Whereas, I am hestitant on other knives which I treat kind of gently although they should be users. The scales feel like cheap plastic so somehow I can justify turning the knife into a user.

Beat it like a red headed step kid.......and keep posting here please!!!!!!
As they say the beatings will continue until morale improves!!! aka never😉

A good sign that a knife isn’t well received is when you constantly see it for sale as “new in box” and never see pics of it in the EDC thread.
Ya, but that’s because it’s “new”. So you have the hype and because of its scarcity, it’s open for flipping on the exchange. Hell there are only 1500 in the wild so far.

Yeah I’m looking to pick one up and try not out. As a recently developed MT fanboy with 8+ auto knives and counting in a few short months I’m itching to try their manual flavor.

Yeah I’m looking to pick one up and try not out. As a recently developed MT fanboy with 8+ auto knives and counting in a few short months I’m itching to try their manual flavor.
After I took a small piece of fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, and very gently and subtly smoothed out the edges on the dip where your index and middle finger go, it is now one of my favorite knives.

Have you seen anyone using it?
I have been carrying using mine. Strangely, it has become one of my favorite knives. If it were not for the big hole in the blade, which I call a fruit and debris catcher, I would like it even more. But yes, I have come to really appreciate it. It has an unspoken authority to it in the design.

MSI RAM-LOK TRI-GRIP POLYMER HANDLE BLACK STONEWASH STANDARD (210T-10PMBK)
Still available at $175.00 +shipping. I snagged one yesterday when they dropped while everyone was going for the Amphibian. Hopefully I'll like it, then I'll go g10. If not it'll be on the exchange lol

Back