Microtech question

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
I am thinking about buying my first automatic knife from Microtech, I once owned an Amphibian and regretted letting it go. I am looking at getting a Combat Troodon cause I have 2xl+ sized hands. Is it worth the price and more importantly is it a good edc choice? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Depends on what you use your EDC for. For me, the Troodon blade wasn’t slicey enough so I sold it off. I have 2XL hands too and it fit, but there wasn’t a lot of extra. It is a neat knife for sure and if you like it enough, go for it.

I am thinking about buying my first automatic knife from Microtech, I once owned an Amphibian and regretted letting it go. I am looking at getting a Combat Troodon cause I have 2xl+ sized hands. Is it worth the price and more importantly is it a good edc choice? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
Is the size normal EDC for you, and is the slight rattle acceptable, and is your environment relatively clean and your hands typically dry?
I regularly EDC a UTX-85, that is a more appropriate size for my environment, and I thoroughly enjoy the in/out action. But the action needs to be clean to operate, and the knife is slippery with wet hands, the knurls and jimping will dig into soft flesh including an uncalloused thumb. One other downside, mentioned above, is the thick geometry - not good if deep slices are required.

I have plenty of other knives that don't have the negatives mentioned above, but I still prefer to carry the Microtech whenever possible because of how much I enjoy the action when I need my knife - out instantly to cut and back in my pocket without even changing my hold on the handle. I don't usually need to make deep cuts into stiff material, nor are my hands typically slick, nor my environment excessively contaminating to the knife's action. It was expensive to purchase, so that may also be a reason I make sure to put it to use as often as possible. You probably don't need a knife that expensive, but 'need' has a looser meaning around here :p

9332D001-8032-4949-833E-12BECA6A2895.jpeg If possible, try and get the LUDT in hand before purchasing.
I loved how it looked and bought 2. Never carried either. Ergos just don’t work.
My hands are large and that circular part near index finger is incredibly annoying.......for me.
Can’t imagine it being any better for larger hands.

I have a Combat Troodon it's really a large quality OTF Microtech, but it also has a really strong spring system your thumb really gets a workout opening and closing it.
I also have the Microtech Ultratech it's smaller, and a will be a lot nicer to your thumb opening and closing.
I also have a LUDT side opening Microtech it's also a really quality knife.
Microtech's are worth their prices, don't settle for a cheap look alike.

The LUDT isn't a large knife and the ergos aren't that great - I have small hands and it still doesn't feel quite right (compared to say a Spyderco PM2). Side opening autos are also a lot harder to close one-handed. If you insist on a Microtech auto, the Socom has the best ergos AND slicing ability. If you're more into the "cool" factor and don't mind paying more for your knife than your gun, then the Combat Troodon might work but I personally cannot justify that price point for a "user" knife that doesn't even cut that well.

I've got size large hands, and find the Combat Troodon pretty nicely sized for ergonomics. I've got another on the way that I can show in a few days.

3eX4K4Oh.jpg

6Hf2dJ5h.jpg

Last edited:
I have a second one on the way. Probably going to sell the first one, once it gets here. The single edge Microtechs are very handy and super fun to fidget with. I've not had any issues with them, but I haven't used the current CT since it was the wrong model and I knew I was going to sell it. I use my Ultratech all the time. None of mine rattle at all but they're all 2019 models. Need to pick up a Troodon and Cypher next.

When i was working at a store that sold a large amount of Microtech OTF knives, we had many people coming back who put a lot of oil on them and found out they stopped opening and closing.

Before going through the process of returning their knives to Microtech that can take a very long time getting them back, i just used Hoppe's Blast&Shine to quickly remove oil and have them working again.

I am not telling anyone what to do, just telling what i did to fix the over oiling problem, myself i don't use any oil on my Microtech OTF knives, the Hoppe's Blast&Shine gives them a really smooth operation.

Here is a size comparison of three Microtech's (bottom one is not an auto). Top is an UTX-85, middle a Combat Troodon, bottom is a Socom Delta.

8uaWahZh.jpg

When i was working at a store that sold a large amount of Microtech OTF knives, we had many people coming back who put a lot of oil on them and found out they stopped opening and closing..

I haven't seen this in any of my knives. If you absolutely loaded them with oil they will still fire but won't lock open. You can pull the blade out until it locks, then wipe it with a paper towel and it's back to normal. They need a little oil to work right. If it stops locking open on its own, it's probably dry. Add a drop or two of oil and you're fine.

When my UTX-85 stopped operating properly, i used a sonicator (which I have access to, rather than buying the bits to open it) to clean out any gunk inside. After drying, i added a drop of 'Goof-Off' or whatever it's called and haven't had a problem since. The trouble with lube is that stuff can stick to it inside the mechanism and then lodge itself there, causing malfunction. If it takes all your strength to get the knife to fire or retract, this can also be caused by gunk in the mechanism. My slide was noticeably easier after the cleaning.

Hey Ron,
Just a thought, if you'd like a side opening auto, look at the Socom Elite autos. If your not 100% set on a Microtech, check out the Protech TR series.

Got a SOCOM Elite not long ago that I've been EDCing. It's a large knife and there are more practical things for EDC. I mostly use my Delica around people, but
I haven't been uncomfortable with my SOCOM Elite and, like I said, it's a large knife I couldn't see anyone not having enough grip room on the handle
and I'd really like to know more about your life if the blade isn't large enough for just about anything either :p
It's plenty slicy enough too, I got the drop point plain edge version so I can't speak to the Tanto or partial serrated but the one I have I like :D

I have decided on an LUDT, I found out that Microtech has a discount for Active Duty, Veterans, Police, Fire with proper documentation. There are certain models included in this program with a generous discount. So, LUDT in od green and black blade. This discount is sincerely appreciated and I appreciate Microtech for their kindness and generosity..

I have decided on an LUDT, I found out that Microtech has a discount for Active Duty, Veterans, Police, Fire with proper documentation. There are certain models included in this program with a generous discount. So, LUDT in od green and black blade. This discount is sincerely appreciated and I appreciate Microtech for their kindness and generosity..
The Microtech side opening LUDT is one of my knives it's a quality knife.

Back