Microtech Ultratech Hellhound Steel type?

I recently purchased a microtech ultratech hellhound with the bronzed blade and hardware. I can't find anywhere on the knife or box that tells me what kind of steel the blade is. Also on all my other microtechs there is a serial number and there is not one to be found on this knife.

Looking at pictures of this model online I can't seem to locate a steel type or serial number marking either so I'm wondering how I can tell.

A few listings online show it as Elmax but I know MT changes their steel from run to run for the same model.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Ultratech-Hellhound-Tanto--51805

Thanks in advance.

It’s most likely either Elmax or M390, I’ve seen them in both steels. Does yours have a date on it?

I've also seen pictures on various dealer websites where the logo on the front is in a different spot as well.

From that vintage it's going to be Elmax or M390. Now they only run CTS-204p. Don't know how long that will last. Luckily the Hellhound blade gives ∞ edge retention and toughness boost, no matter the steel.

The only way to know the steel type is to take the knife apart. There are laser markings on the tang.
No or one dot = M390
2 dots = Elmax
3 dots = CTS-XHP
4 dots = CTS-204P

Back